Check out the 15 best ideas to make Rakhi at home for Rakshabandhan – Perfect rakhi ideas for kids to make, rakhi competition, best of waste, simple and handmade with detailed step-by-step images- ArtsyCraftsyMom
What is Raksha Bandhan, Why do We Celebrate Rakhi Festival?
Raksha Bandhan (रक्षा बन्धन) is a Hindu festival that celebrates the love and duty between brothers and sisters; [ Source]
On this day, sisters of all ages tie a talisman, or amulet, called the rakhi, around the wrists of their brothers, symbolically protecting them, receiving a gift in return, and traditionally investing the brothers with a share of the responsibility of their potential care
When is Raksha Bandhan in 2022?
Raksha Bandhan in 2022 is on Thursday, 11th of August
What material can be used for making Rakhi?
A Homemade Rakhi can be made with any supplies you have at home, but as a basic, you will need –
- a thread of some kind to tie with – silk thread, wool, satin ribbon, etc.
- Decorative Craft Materials: foam, wool, sequins tassels, beads, etc.
- Glue & Scissors
How can I make Rakhi at home?
For us too, it is a very special day at home. I love making rakhis for my brothers & now Miss P also makes them each year. It always adds that special touch to make one lovingly at home. I’m sure you are also searching for cool ideas to make one at home or for a Rakhi-making competition. I searched the net for you and presented.
15 Best ideas to make Rakhi at home for Rakshabandhan
Grab this freebie from our shop – FREE PRINTABLE RAKHI CARDS
1. Make an Aeroplane or Car Rakhi at home for Rakshabandhan
Children love rakhis with characters they can relate too. Miss P has cousins who are crazy about airplanes, and cars
To make the Aeroplane rakhi, you will need
- Foam sticker set – Aeroplane in yellow\
- Satin ribbon in red, cut to size
- Felt circle sticker in red, with adhesive backing
- Black marker, Red marker
To make –
- Outline the yellow airplane with a black marker.
- Add red dots for windows.
- Stick this on a Felt circle with adhesive backing
- Using glue, Stick the Satin ribbon below the circle.
You can similarly make A car rakhi or any other design.
2. Make an Animal Rakhi at home for Rakshabandhan
- Sticker set – Lion in yellow
- Satin ribbon in red, cut to size
- Felt circle sticker in red & orange with adhesive backing
To make –
- Stick the Lion sticker on a Felt red circle with adhesive backing
- Place a red satin in between the Red Felt circle & the orange Felt.
- Using fevicol, Stick the Satin ribbon between the two circles.
Make more designs – You can replace the Lion with Chota Bheem, Spiderman, Pokemon sticker.
3. How do you make homemade Rakhi with wool?
I wrote this guest post for multiculturalkidblogs.com where I shared this easy DIY rakhi idea and how we celebrate rakhi .
You will need Red & Yellow Wool, some beads & scissors. The steps are the same as you would use to make a pompom. Twist the Red wool around your fingers for 20 rounds. Slowly pull it out & securely tie it at the center. Using scissors, cut the ends of the bow & spread & press to form a flower pompom. Tie a wooden bead at the center & another strand behind to make the Rakhi.
4. Rakhi Making For Kids – Using Craft Foam
These are perfect for kids as they tend to like funkier and ‘not so ornamental’ rakhi designs… Check out the full tutorial Art Platter
5. Make a Rakhi with Zari Motifs at home for Rakshabandhan
Go to any tailoring supply shops in India and buy zari motifs – Flowers, Peacocks, and Geometrical designs. These come with a fabric backing that’s easy to stick or stitch onto a lace or gold thread to make your very own Rakhi at home.
6. Make a Rakhi with Felt
To make the purple rakhi, You will need
- Purple designer sticker – I bought this from ItsyBitsy
- Satin ribbon Yellow cut to size
- Purple felt, yellow felt
- Needle & Thread.
To make –
- Assemble the yellow felt, satin ribbon and then purple felt below it. Secure in place using fabric glue as shown in the image above.
- Stick the designer sticker on top and Felt rakhi is ready.
7. Make a decorative Rakhi using sequins
Another gorgeous design from the ArtPlatter
8. Make a Photo Rakhi at home
We loved the photo rakhi idea from Picsquare. This Raksha Bandhan, send your brother a unique, one-of-a-kind Rakhi with your favorite photo on it.
9. Make Rakhi at home with paper
We love these pretty paper quilling designs from The Craft House Blog
Video Tutorial –
10. Make pinwheel Rakhi using felt
11. Make a gorgeous flower rakhi
I tried to search for the source .. but couldn’t. Please let me know who made this and I’ll add the link to it.
Button Felt Rakhi’s via VisheshCollection is super cute to make too
13. Make a silk thread Rakhi
Use a silk thread to make Rakhi, because silk thread is used in the Raksha Bandhan festival traditionally. Tutorial via Radhika
14. Handmade beaded rakhis for Raksha Bandhan
Twist multiple strands of colored silk and add a golden bead in between.
15. Horizontal Foam Rakhi design
These horizontal rakhis made using foam will be perfect for little hands and are super simple to make. Idea via
That’s all for today.. I hope you liked our handmade rakhi ideas and if you have more suggestions for us to try out, leave a link in the comments below.