DIY Popup Kite Card for Sankranti
Make this DIY Popup Kite Card for Sankranti – a festival that’s incomplete without kites! This bright and colorful card requires just craft paper & cardstock.
Makar Sankranti is a festival that has a lot of significance for people across India. It’s a harvest festival, a festival to celebrate spring, a festival to honor the sun and a kite flying festival all rolled into one!!
I love this multi-faceted festival, also because it gives me something to look forward to after the New Year celebrations have died down. We celebrate Sankranti with all the trimmings at our place, including enjoying flying some kites.
If you know anything about this festival, you know that kites are an integral part of the celebrations. So while you’re getting ready for launching your colorful kites into the bright blue sky, we’ve got a cute little kite for you down on earth, just as colorful and just as fun!
DIY Popup Kite Card for Sankranti
- Blue Card Stock
- Craft Paper in white and bright colors like orange, yellow, pink or red
- Pencil and Ruler
- Black Sharpie
- Scissors and Glue
Check out the video tutorial
How to make a Popup Kite Card for Sankranti:
1. Fold the blue card stock down the middle so it opens like a card. Keep it aside while we make the other elements.
2. To make the kites, first cut out small rectangles from the colored craft paper. Fold each rectangle down the long side.
3. As shown in the image above, use a ruler and pencil to draw half a kite on one side of the folded paper. Cut it out along these lines.
4. Do the same with the other craft papers till you get two of each color. Place all the pieces so that all the shorter ends are facing up and the longer ends facing down.
5. To assemble the kite, stick the outer right side of one folded kite to the outer left side of another folded kite. Continue doing this so that all the colors appear alternately or however you like it.
6. The clouds can be made using the same technique as the kites. Cut out rectangles from white craft paper and fold horizontally. Draw half a cloud on the folded edge and cut it out. Repeat till you get three pieces per cloud.
7. Glue the three pieces together the same way you did the kite. Make multiple clouds.
8. Stick the kite in the center of the blue card, right along the center fold. Place the kite so that the kite’s fold aligns with the card’s.
9. Stick the clouds on the flat surfaces of the blue card, on either side of the kite.
10. Use the black sharpie to draw the kite’s tail.
11. To decorate the kite tail, cut out little triangles from the colored craft paper.
12. Stick these on either side of the sharpie tail on the card, placing them so they look like bows.
13. Fold the card and make sure all the parts pop up correctly.
14. Stick on any embellishments like stickers, or write your own greeting.
Your DIY Popup Kite Card is ready!
Isn’t this one colorful card? It’s not called a popup for nothing! I love how it reflects the bright colors against the blue sky – a common sight on Sankranti. This goes well with our Quilled Sankranti greeting card So go ahead and make this fun card for your friends and family – and welcome the new season with everyone you love!
Don’t forget to check out our full list of Sankranti Customs, Crafts and Recipe Ideas for Kids!
Is there a video to this card?
Yes there is – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XakOoqrkS0