Repurpose your paper egg cartons into little Egg Carton Mushroom Craft that will have your kids cracking up!
I love mushrooms and even have a Clay Mushroom Photo Stand on my craft table. I also love the cute little mushroom houses the Smurfs live in!
Since I was a kid, I’ve wondered how it would be like to live in a house like that. Maybe if I win the lottery someday, I’ll build one like it – who knows!!
But till then, I’ll make do with the Cutest DIY Recycling Egg Carton Mushroom Craft. And you don’t need billions of dollars for it – just egg cartons and paint!
Egg Carton Mushroom Craft for Kids
- Clean Cardboard Egg Cartons
- Acrylic Paints in Red and White
- Hot Glue Gun and Scissors
- Faux grass (optional)
Recycled crafts show kids how to make unique pieces of art by thinking outside of the box. So put those egg cartons to good use.
1. Make sure the cartons you use are clean. Of course, washing them may not be an option, but you can wipe them down with a good disinfectant or even vinegar.
2. Using a pair of sharp scissors, cut out the ‘cup’ portion of the egg carton to make the mushroom’s head. Cut out as many as you need and trim the edges to keep them neat.
3. Flatten each mushroom cup slightly, so that they look more like mushrooms and less like umbrellas!
4. Time to bring out the paints! I went with red paint for the mushrooms, although you can go for pink or purple or anything you like.
5. Use white paint to make dots on the mushroom heads to add some interest. Alternatively, you can stick on some white foam dots for more texture.
6. Now that the mushroom heads are ready, it’s time for the stems. Cut out the side of the carton into long strips. Roll up a strip to make it look like the stem as shown in the picture below. No problem if it isn’t neat – the more rugged, the more natural it’ll look!
7. Now all you need to do is attach the stems to the bottom of the mushroom heads with a hot glue gun and ta-da – your mushrooms are ready! If you’ve got some faux grass, I’d recommend placing the mushrooms on them for an absolutely adorable little scene!
This Egg Carton Mushroom Craft is great for a storybook diorama or simply for a spring scene. If you have little smurf action figures, then place them next to these mushrooms for a super cute shelf display!