With summer here, there are different things on everyone’s minds. Some of you are considering travel plans, some are thinking of ways to keep the kids occupied and some of you are still coming to terms with the fact that it’s already summer! Seriously, it feels like 2016 began only yesterday, and bang – we’re past half the year already! Anyway, it is indeed summer now, and we can imagine all the little fears and thought running through the mind of every parent out there. So today, we have just what you need to ensure smooth-sailing this summer – 30 Summer Parenting hacks that you absolutely can’t do without!
30 Summer Parenting Hacks You Can’t Do Without
Beach Hacks for Summer
1. It’s inevitable that kids will take their toys to the beach; after all, you can’t deny them the pleasure of digging and scooping out sand. Keep all the sand at the beach and don’t let it enter your home with a mesh laundry bag. (The Idea Room)
2. Another way to ensure sand-free enjoyment for the rest of you is by using a fitted sheet turned upside down, and held in place with bulky objects like coolers. Perfect for toddlers who don’t like sand! (Reddit)
3. To help your baby take a nap so the rest of you can relax as well, dig a hole in the sand, cover it with a thick towel and presto – you have a cosy little nap-station for baby! (Kellys Korner Blog)
4. When you’re busy watching the kids at the beach, someone else may be watching your valuables! Keep them safe by wrapping them in a diaper to make it look like it’s been soiled. No one’s going to pick that up! (Parent Hacks)
5. In case baby (or anyone else) does get sand on him, don’t bother brushing; just sprinkle baby powder to get it off easily. (Mum in the Madhouse)
Food Hacks for Summer
6. You can’t have summer without Popsicles, and you have to admit, popsicles are super-messy! Contain the mess by using cupcake liners to hold drippings. (Popsugar)
7. Cupcake liners don’t just protect your carpet from Popsicle drippings, they also protect your drinks! Cover open drinks with inverted cupcake liners to keep bugs at bay. (One Crazy House)
9. When the kids are home, they’re likely to accompany you on all your errands which means more kiddie car trips! Keep the car clean even when the kids are eating with a shower caddy repurposed into a food holder. (Lookie What I Did)
10. When it’s hot, kids keep running to the kitchen for a drink of water, and use a different cup every time – which means more washing up! Stick magnets to each child’s cup and let them fix them on the fridge door for easy access. (Fun Family Crafts)
Safety Hacks for Summer
11. Sunburn is one of the not-so-fun parts of summer, but never fear when aloe vera’s here! Just freeze aloe vera in ice trays for an instant solution for sunburn. (Examiner)
12. It’s not just the exterior of the car that gets super hot during summer, the insides start burning too. Use a DIY spray mist to cool hot buckles before the kids get into it. (Reddit)
13. Summer’s also the time for camping and fourth of July fireworks. Keep kids hand safe with a sparkler shield, made with a large size paper cup. (Love 2 Dream Do You)
14. Vacation spots and entertainment centers can get crazy crowded during the summer holidays. Make sure your child can be easily located in case she gets lost with a DIY phone number bracelet. (DIY Girl)
15. If you didn’t like the phone bracelet idea, you can also try temporary safety tattoos with your personal information on it. (The Nerds Wife)
Entertainment Hacks for Summer
16. Hot summer days means board games and card games indoors. Help your little players keep their cards upright with a DIY egg carton card holder. (In Light of the Truth)
17. Don’t throw out those empty pump dispensers! Recycle them to fill water balloons for some well deserved summer time balloon fights! (Find It Make It Love It)
18. It’s amazing how you can create an instant play area with colored tape! Stick it on the floor to make a road track for little cars – a hack for the home and away! (Learn with Play at Home)
20. How many times have your kids wasted half their bubble solution by spilling it all over the ground, leaving behind a slippery mess to clean up? Put an end to wastage by propping up the bubble solution bottles using duct tape.
Travel Hacks for Summer
21. You like to be well stocked when setting out on a road trip with kids, so corral all your stuff with a shoe organizer hung over the back of your seat, so kids have easy access. (Krazy Koupon Lady)
22. When travelling with kids, you need to pack extra sets of clothes. Make more space in your suitcase by rolling clothes instead of folding them. (Popsugar)
23. Hotel bathroom surfaces can be grimy; keep your kids’ toothbrushes from touching dirty areas by using a clip.
24. Any Mom who’s road-tripped with a child knows the agony of being unprepared when her kid gets car sick! Prepare a car sick bag with all the essentials you’ll need in case such an event occurs. (Cul de Sac Cool)
25. Keeping kids entertained on a journey can be challenging, but not if you have a fun travel coloring case with you! Make it yourself out of an old DVD case, filled with paper and crayons. (Popsugar)
Frugal Hacks for Summer
26. Remember about all the toys that were at the beach? Well get out all the dirt lying in their nooks and crannies by running them through the dishwasher.
27. You don’t need to buy a brand new poncho to lounge around by the poolside; just make one from an old towel. (The Spohrs are Multiplying)
28. If you’d like to spend some time outdoors but are worried about your baby getting bitten by bugs, use a crib sheet over her play pen to keep all pests away from your darling while you do your thing. (Little Baby Watson)
29. Planning a camping trip this summer? You don’t need complicated paraphernalia to occupy your kids; just take along a large plastic bin for your toddler to relax safely. (Living on a Latte)
30. Have fun outdoors without any fancy equipment. All you need is an empty plastic bottle and you have a fun, DIY sprinkler! (Housing a Forest)
These summer parenting hacks should make life a lot easier this season, and you’re all set to have fun with your kids! Do let us know if you’ve already tried any of these or if you’ve got a hack that worked for you.