Cooking with Kids – Puffed Rice Bhel
I am always on the lookout for some quick snack ideas for Lil P to make or assemble on her own. Puffed rice Bhel tops our list on easy to make snacks. I love this under-10-minute preparation that is loaded with veggies & nuts.
Before I start this , let me make my point clear. I Don’t cook at home. We have a cook who comes once a day and makes breakfast, lunch & dinner. So Lil P is hardly exposed to the kitchen. So, if your child is more comfortable helping in the kitchen, this snack can be introduced to kids as young as 3 or 4 years old.
As with every task that involves kids, Adult supervision is mandatory.
Cooking with Kids – Making Puffed Rice Bhel
- Puffed rice .. We can also use puffed wheat. ( 1 glass)
- Tamarind,date chutney – 1 tsp
- Mint , Coriander chutney – 1 tsp (optional)
- Boiled potato – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 small
- Cucumber – 1 small
- Onion – 1 small
- Coriander – for garnishing
- Sev, Khakra (gram flour fritters)
- Boiled or roasted ground nuts
- Salt, pepper, chaat masala ( to taste)
- Paper plate to make a cone.
- Tape to stick the cone in place
Assemble all items at one spot in the kitchen
Peel and finely chop the potatoes, onion, tomato & cucumber in a plastic container
Add raisins, Groundnuts, salt, pepper, chaat powder , Mint chutney & tamarind date chutney to it.
Add puffed rice , cornflake chivda, sev to this.
Close the container & do the shake -shake. Open to reveal the ready bhel.
Make a cone using a paper plate . Stick in place using a tap. Fill it with bhel and eat away.. 🙂
Making our own snack at home has its benefits
- Now, instead of saying- “mumma, lets buy this”, she says, “Lets make this”. (High Five)
- I can add a lot of fresh vegetables to every snack I make
- Has done wonders for our Mummy- daughter relationship.
What do you think?? We make something simple every evening .. and i’ll try to post it often.
Shruti…It looks delicious.My daughter loves to cook but its a struggle these days with all the school work and extra curricular activities too!!
PS: You are so lucky the cook system is working out for you. When I had a maid to help in cooking…both hubby and daughter rebelled and only myself and our poor dog would eat what the maid cooked!
Perfect recipe for young cooks! My daughter loves helping me in the kitchen. her favorite thing to do is beating the eggs.