I am always on the lookout for some quick snack ideas for Lil P to make or assemble on her own. Puffed rice Bhel tops our list on easy to make snacks. I love this under-10-minute preparation that is loaded with veggies & nuts.
Before I start this , let me make my point clear. I Don’t cook at home. We have a cook who comes once a day and makes breakfast, lunch & dinner. So Lil P is hardly exposed to the kitchen. So, if your child is more comfortable helping in the kitchen, this snack can be introduced to kids as young as 3 or 4 years old.
As with every task that involves kids, Adult supervision is mandatory.
Cooking with Kids – Making Puffed Rice Bhel
- Puffed rice .. We can also use puffed wheat. ( 1 glass)
- Tamarind,date chutney – 1 tsp
- Mint , Coriander chutney – 1 tsp (optional)
- Boiled potato – 1 small
- Tomato – 1 small
- Cucumber – 1 small
- Onion – 1 small
- Coriander – for garnishing
- Sev, Khakra (gram flour fritters)
- Boiled or roasted ground nuts
- Salt, pepper, chaat masala ( to taste)
- Paper plate to make a cone.
- Tape to stick the cone in place
Assemble all items at one spot in the kitchen
Peel and finely chop the potatoes, onion, tomato & cucumber in a plastic container
Add raisins, Groundnuts, salt, pepper, chaat powder , Mint chutney & tamarind date chutney to it.
Add puffed rice , cornflake chivda, sev to this.
Close the container & do the shake -shake. Open to reveal the ready bhel.
Make a cone using a paper plate . Stick in place using a tap. Fill it with bhel and eat away.. 🙂
Making our own snack at home has its benefits
- Now, instead of saying- “mumma, lets buy this”, she says, “Lets make this”. (High Five)
- I can add a lot of fresh vegetables to every snack I make
- Has done wonders for our Mummy- daughter relationship.
What do you think?? We make something simple every evening .. and i’ll try to post it often.