Create your own magical world with this paper bag harry potter puppet! Easy to make and perfect for International Harry Potter Day on 2nd May!
Few things have captured the minds of children and adults alike in recent times like the Harry Potter series. Whether you’re just a fan of the series or you’re a true blue Potterhead, you’ll love knowing that we’ll soon be celebrating International Harry Potter Day on 2nd May!
Harry Potter’s birthday is in July, so why 2nd May? Well, it’s the day of the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998, between Lord Voldemort and Dumbledore’s Army. The day was officially announced in 2012, and was made by none other than the then Prime Minister of the United Kingdom!
How to celebrate International Harry Potter Day:
- Re-read your favorite Harry Potter book, or go for the entire series of seven books
- Watch all eight Harry Potter movies, either in order or any way you like
- Find out which house you belong to, using the Sorting Hat at Wizarding World
- Plan a Harry Potter theme party for your friends
- Make some Harry Potter crafts
To that end, we’ve got something to get you started on your Harry Potter Day celebrations – a cute paper bag harry potter puppet!
Magical Paper Bag Harry Potter Puppet for Kids
- Craft papers in different colors
- Brown paper bag
How to make the Paper Bag Harry Potter Puppet:
1. Download and print the paper bag harry potter puppet template. The template includes parts of Harry Potter, like hair, face, arms, robe, hands, shoes and scarf.
2. Trace the parts on craft paper of the appropriate color and cut them out. We’ve used black for the robe, sleeves and shoes, yellow for the scarf, brown for the hair and pink for the face and hands.
3. Stick the hair on the face and attach the hands to the sleeves with glue.
4. Time to get artsy with our paper bag harry potter puppet! Take out your red marker and draw thick red stripes on the scarf. Next, draw facial features on Harry Potter’s face – eyes, nose, mouth, glasses and of course, the scar! If you don’t feel confident drawing directly with a marker, you can first draw a light line with a pencil, and then draw on top with a marker.
5. Cut out two rectangles from grey paper, with the length of the rectangles being equal to the width of the paper bag. You can use two different shades of grey to differentiate between the top and bottom.
6. Stick one rectangle on the bottom edge of the other, so that they form on large rectangle.
7. Stick the two parts of the robe on either side of the rectangle created in step 6.
8. Stick the arms on either side of the rectangle, so that they are attached at the top of the rectangle and flow down at an angle. Attach the scarf to the bottom of the face with glue. Now your paper bag harry potter puppet is beginning to take shape!
9. Stick the Harry Potter head on the flap of the brown paper bag.
10. Stick the body of Harry Potter on the bottom portion of the brown paper bag. That’s it – your paper bag harry potter puppet is ready!
To play with the paper bag harry potter puppet, put your hand inside the paper bag and move the flap – which will move the Harry Potter head. You can now make him chant spells, yell out during Quidditch or talk to his friends. You can also try making these craft stick Harry Potter puppets, which also double up as bookmarks!