You don’t need too many things to make this gorgeous Peg Doll Mermaid Craft! Dress up her in any color of your choice & get ready for lots of pretend play!
When you hear the word ‘mermaid’, you’re most likely to remember ‘The Little Mermaid’ – either the story or the Disney movie. Either way, you can’t not have heard of the mysterious and haunting half woman-half fish sea creature!
Mermaids have been featured in stories and legends so much so that many people do believe that they are real. What adds to the mystery is that we’re still not sure if mermaids are kind to humans… or not. Going by old tales, they could be either!
However, today we’re going to focus on the good kind of mermaids – the ones that smile and look pretty, and help sailors lost at sea. And we’re going to have our very own mermaid to play with, by making a peg doll mermaid craft. Check out the instructions below – they’re easier than you think!
Peg Doll Mermaid Craft
- Wooden peg
- Glitter paper
- Rainbow thread
- Tack its
- Sharpies and pencil
How to make the Peg Doll Mermaid Craft:
1. Let’s start out by getting the mermaid’s hair ready. Cut out strands of the rainbow thread and tie up the bundle in the center.
2. Time to make her dress! Take the balloon and snip away at the curved end. Go for uneven, jagged edges as shown in the picture.
3. Let the mermaid try on her new dress! Push the opening of the balloon into the end of the wooden peg.
4. The dress still needs a top, so for that cut out a bustier from the glitter paper. Draw out a pattern on the reverse side and then cut it out.
5. Keeping the back side facing up, attach a small bit of tack it, rolled into a strip.
6. Fix the bustier on top of the mermaid’s balloon skirt – she’s now fully dressed! Use sharpies or markers to draw on some facial features.
7. Make another thin strip with the tack it and place it on the mermaid’s head. Fix the hair on this.
8. Your mermaid is ready!
Now go ahead and make more in other color combinations!
WI have to admit, one of the things I love about this little mermaid is her rainbow hair. Of course, nothing’s stopping you from going for a mermaid that’s blonde or brunette! These are perfect for small world play, and also make a great collection to your DIY doll set that my include these gnome dolls, sock dolls or stick fairies.