Longing for spring? Get ready with this simple and pretty Seashell Butterfly Craft for kids. All you need are shells, pipe cleaners & basic craft supplies!
The image of a child running after butterflies seems to be the perfect representation of innocence and beauty. Maybe it’s the beautiful colors and patterns, or the fact that they’re so hard to catch – but butterflies have always been something that intrigue us!
As winter draws to a close and spring sets in, we can get ready to see flowers start to bloom everywhere and this of course means one thing for sure – more butterflies!
So let’s celebrate the upcoming season and these gorgeous creatures of nature with a sweet and simple seashell butterfly craft for kids. The best part is that kids can customize these butterflies any which way they want!
Seashell Butterfly Craft for Kids
- Sea shells (you can buy them from the craft store or pick them up from the beach, in which case they need to be properly cleaned and dried)
- Colored pipe cleaners
- Paints and paint brush
- Tack its or another adhesive
- Card stock or thick paper
- Embellishments of different shapes
How to make the Seashell Butterfly Craft:
1. First of all, paint the sea shells in a color of your choice. Go ahead and make it more interesting by using multiple shades. Leave them to dry.
2. While the shells are drying, twist the pipe cleaners to make the body of the butterfly. Curl the ends into spirals to resemble antennae.
3. Once the shells are dry, it’s time to attach them to the pipe cleaner body. Use a piece of tack it to fix the shell at one end and secure it in place.
4. Repeat with the other sea shell.
5. Your butterflies are ready! But our project doesn’t end here. Paint chart paper or textured card stock for a background. Stick on embellishments like clouds, flowers, leaves and birds.
6. You can also use craft paper to cut out shapes like clouds or the sun.
7. That’s not all, you can also change the body of the butterfly and add glitter or polka dots using chalk pens. Customize them any way you like!
I love how there are so many opportunities to play around with these shells! Plain or patterned, ombre or graphic, you can do so many things with just paints, and you can also take it a step further with things like glitter or sticker dots. They’re your butterflies, make them as gorgeous as you want! While you’re at it, don’t forget to check out our Accordion Fold Butterfly Card, Stick and Leaf Butterfly Nature Craft, Crepe Paper Butterfly and Paper Butterfly Craft.