We are restarting our Yummy Tummy Wednesday Feature from this month.. To begin, we have a lovely recipe from our guest blogger – Priya Sachan
Quick Semiya Upma – Vermicelli Indian Rice Noodle Breakfast
Ingredients for the Quick Semiya Upma – Vermicelli Indian Rice Noodle Breakfast
- 1 cup -Vermicelli / Rece Semiyan
- 1 tsp Black mustard seeds
- 7-8 Curry leaves
- 1tbsp Oil/ghee
- 1 small onion chopped fine
- 1 small tomato chopped fine
- Finely chopped peas, beans, carrots, capsicum – you may add any vegetables that your child likes
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, dry roast the vermicelli till they get golden brown and a nice aroma is released. Keep stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Heat oil/ghee in the Kadai/ pan.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start crackling, add curry leaves. Saute for half a minute.
- Add chopped onions and saute for some time.
- Add turmeric and chopped tomatoes and let it cook for a couple of minutes till soft.
- Add all the chopped veggies. Add salt to taste and let them cook for 2-3 minutes covered.
- Once vegetables are a soft, add roasted vermicelli and mix well.
- Finally, add 1 cup water, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Cover and let it cook on simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- If needed, you can add some water. Vermicelli should get cooked but should not get lumpy.
Priya Sachan is the founder and author of ShishuWorld, which is an Indian parenting website. A mom to a 2-year-old and an ex-techie who quit her job to pursue motherhood, she writes on all things about parenting – from feeding babies to toddler issues. ShishuWorld also has a recipe corner dedicated to kids which has recipes for infants, toddlers, finger food, drinks, healthy meals for picky eaters and many more.
What recipes would you like featured here? Do write to us and leave encouraging comments for all the lovely people on board 🙂