Yummiest Cheesy Potato Croquettes
- Potatoes : 3medium(400gm) , boiled,peeled and mashed
- Grated cheddar cheese:50 gm
- Boiled sweet corn – 1/2 cup
- Finely chopped capsicum:3 tablespoons
- Finely chopped green chilly:1
- Finely chopped parsley:1-2 tablespoons
- Finely chopped chives – 1 – 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- All purpose flour:2 1/2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder:a pinch(optional)
- Pepper powder:a pinch
- Crushed cornflakes:Required to coat the balls
- Oil,for deep frying
- Boil and cool the potatoes and mash them using a fork.
- Combine the mashed potatoes,cheese, corn, capsicum, chopped chilly, parsley, chives, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix well and roll them into small balls. Use a little oil to grease your palms if the potato mixture sticks too much.
- Make a thin batter of all purpose flour (Maida),turmeric powder,pepper powder and salt by adding 1/2 cup water. Make sure the consistency is not too runny.
- Dip each ball carefully in this batter and roll in crushed cornflakes. Make sure all sides are evenly coated.
- Arrange them on a plate,cover with foil and refrigerate for 45 minutes or until firm.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil until golden brown & crisp. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or a salsa dip.
Tip- Use breadcrumbs instead of cornflakes for a crunchier bite.
Something to try next time
- Wash the potatoes but leave the peel on them to get the goodness from the fibre in the skin.
- Experiment with different flavours. Swap the green chillies, coriander, and turmeric for 1 x tsp dried chilli flakes, fresh ginger 1 teaspoon, fresh basil and the zest of a lime.
- Use sweet potatoes for a sweeter flavour or use a combination of white and sweet potatoes.
- You could also add an egg to the potato mixture to amp up its nutrition value.