Deck up your Christmas Tree the DIY way with these pretty Chalkboard Paint CD Ornaments! Perfect to keep for yourself or to give as holiday gifts!
Come mid-November, and you can see that most stores start changing the placements of their products. Some even rearrange their aisles! And all in preparation for laying out all the newest, shiniest Christmas decorations for you! From tinsel to ornaments to holly and mistletoe, there’s everything you need for a bright and colorful Christmas.
While all that is very well, you have to admit that decorating your tree with a few handmade ornaments has its own charm, that the shiniest tinsel can’t beat! And when you can make them by recycling things around the house, it’s a win-win for everyone – for you, the tree and the environment! Today we’ve got a DIY Christmas ornament that can be made with something as basic as old CDs!
DIY Chalkboard Paint CD Ornaments for Christmas
- Old CDs
- Chalkboard paint – Black
- White Liquid Chalk Marker
- White Permanent marker [ optional]
- Paint Brush
Instructions to make Chalkboard Paint CD Ornaments for Christmas:
1. Take your CD and start painting on the shiny side with black chalkboard paint. Cover this side completely and then move on to the next side.
2. Add another coat of paint if necessary. Don’t worry if it looks too shiny, the paint will turn matte on drying. Make sure there are no blank or uneven spaces.
3. Leave the CDs to dry for at least two hours.
4. Using a permanent white marker, draw a design along the border. Use a chalk marker if you don’t want it to be permanent. That way you can change the designs on the CD depending upon the season. Here, I’ve opted for a simple dash pattern.
5. You can repeat the pattern around the center if you like. Decorate the CDs with other Christmas motifs like tiny snowflakes. Thread a red ribbon through the center and tie it, leaving enough room to hang the CD.
6. You can leave the CDs as they are, or write a greeting on it. You can also add names if you’re planning to give it as a personalized gift. Or you could try embellishments like paper cutouts.
7. Your Chalkboard paint CD ornaments are ready! Hang them up on the tree, or under a shelf – anywhere you please!
I really love the idea that we can personalize these to our heart’s content. You can also use these as place cards for a wedding by decorating with a gold marker – perfect for winter weddings! However, I’m going to make a bunch of these and gift to all my friends. So every time they look a their tree, they’ll remember me! Merry Christmas!
If you liked this craft, you may also like these DIY Christmas ornaments: