This DIY Felt Dinosaur Plushie is the perfect project for a little dinosaur fan! Turn it into a cute pencil topper or a bag charm for your school bag!
Do you have a little dinosaur fan at home? Then I’m sure you’ve heard of the studies that say that this is a sign of intelligence in kids – not that you needed a study to tell you that!
If you’re a dinosaur fan yourself, it’s quite likely that you’d like to pass that on to your kids, and you can try with some dinosaur theme activities like an egg match game, a memory game or a sequencing puzzle.
And while you’re at it, why not make a cute little dinosaur plushie? Yes, today we bring you a project that’s perfect for your dinosaur fan – and her friends! So grab some felt and needle and thread – we’re going to make ourselves a little Apatosaurus!
DIY Felt Dinosaur Plushie + Free Template
List of Supplies:
- Printable Template
- Felt fabrics
- Pencil or fabric pen
- Needle and thread
- Cotton or scrap felt
How to Make the DIY Felt Dinosaur Plushie:
1. Download and print the free template for the felt dinosaur plushie. Cut out the separate pieces – dinosaur body 2 pieces, 4 eye circles and circle for the body dots.
2. Select felt fabrics for the dinosaur plushie. You’ll need black and white felt for the eyes and any colors you want for the other patterns. Trace the template patterns on the selected felt and cut them out.
3. Take any one of the body cutouts and place the eyes patterns on the head part. Place the small black circles on the bigger white circles to make the eyes.
4. Stitch the eyes in place with black thread. Using the same thread, stitch the mouth of the dinosaur.
5. Place the other body cutout on a plain surface and then place the stitched body cutout over it. Make sure to match all sides of both body cutouts. Prepare needle and thread to stitch around the sides of both body cutouts.
6. Once you’ve stitched around the head part, stuff it with cotton or scrap felt. Continue to stitch around the 2 body patterns to join them. You will need to stuff the head, the neck and the tail once the sides of each of these patterns are stitched and ready.
7. Done stitching and stuffing? Now close any remaining open ends and secure the stuffing by stitching around it.
8. Tie a knot or two. Draw the needle randomly inside the plush and draw it back out. Cut off any extra thread.
9. Use fabric glue to stick on the other dots on the body of the dinosaur. Your felt dinosaur plushie is now ready!
Isn’t this little guy just adorable? You can turn this into a bag charm by attaching a ring to the head or into a pencil topper by sewing it on a pencil at the bottom. You can also hand these out as return gifts at a dinosaur theme party. Dinosaur fan or not, this is sure to make any little child happy as pie!