Xmas cheer is fruit cakes and cookies, and I often thought of combining them – you can never have too much of a good thing. My spin on fruitcake cookies is that mine’s loaded with nuts, berries, raisins, dates (only way I can get my daughter to eat resins & dates. It’s healthier as I’ve used whole wheat but didn’t compromise on taste and wow factor.
Here’s my recipe for
Healthy Mixed Berry Cookies Perfect for Christmas
In fact, kids will go gaga over this. Nuts are not very popular with some kids, but these cookies are perfect to make them fall in love with all the good stuff.
11/2 cup Dried Berry Mix (Cherries, Blueberries, Cranberries)
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Chopped Dates
1 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/3 cup Apple Juice
2 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp Salt
2 small Eggs
1 cup Butter
1/2 cup White granulated Sugar
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
Procedure to make the Mixed Berry Cookies Perfect for Christmas
- In a medium bowl combine Berries, Raisins, Chopped dates, Walnuts and Apple juice.
- Cover it and refrigerate for 4-6 hrs so that the juice is absorbed and fruits become plump
- Combine together flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt. Set it aside for 5 mins
- Cream butter with white sugar and brown sugar till smooth about 2 minutes with electric mixer
- Add eggs, one at a time and continue to mix on medium speed
- Add the dry ingredients to the mix and beat on low speed till the dough comes together
- Add in the fruit and nut mix including the liquid if there is any left over
- Divide the dough in half and shape each them into about 2-inch diameter logs.
- Wrap them in clingwrap and refrigerate for few hours or overnight
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Take out the logs from fridge and slice them into about ½-inch thick slices
- You can bake both the logs or keep the other log refrigerated to make it another time. One log gives approximately 18-20 cookies
- Place the rounds on the cookie sheets, keep them about ½-inch apart
- Bake them for about 18- 20 minutes until the bottom just begin to turn golden brown.
- Transfer them on a rack to cool
- Enjoy 🙂
This classic cookie recipe will instantly evoke warm Christmas memories. You can garnish with sugar, decorate with sprinkles or add a dollop of fresh cream with a berry topping.
Which is your favorite Christmas cookie recipe?