Spray painting using a toothbrush
Meira was asking about some gift ideas to surprise her hubby with some DIY stuff. And I remembered this project done 4 years back [ Sorry for the bad pic]
Thats Lil P just 20 days old…. What I want you to focus on is that white tee that I had spray painted.
Hand prints spray painted on a T-shirt
White T-Shirt [Even black will do]
Cardboard to be placed between the t-shirt layers
- Newspaper to cover the floor
- Chart paper for the handprint cutout
- An old toothbrush
- Fabric colors – Red, Orange & yellow. [ or Blue+ Green + Yellow]
- Cover the floor with newspapers (Secure them with cellotape, if possible)
- Trace your hands on a cardsheet. (you can try it with ur child’s hand too)
- Carefully cutout along the outline to have 2 holes for hand prints.
- Staple the card sheet to the tee shirt so that the only exposed part of the t-shirt are the handprints.
- Now dip the old toothbrush in water.. lightly squeeze all water out.
- Cover the surface of the tooth brush with red fabric color [ darkest color first] .. Make sure the color is not too watery and not too dry either.
- Now with the brush facing the t-shirt, lightly rub your thumb against the surface. you can see that red color is sprayed on the T-shirt.. cover the lower 1/3 of the hand print completely.
- Wash the tooth brush & cover the middle 1/3 of the hand prints with orange & the top with yellow.
- Let it dry completely (1/2 hour minimum)
- Remove the card sheet to reveal Hand prints spray painted on a T-shirt.
This is a nice idea 🙂 We hd done it for Dad once 🙂
Li’lP looks so sweet in the pic 🙂
My eyes were only on her til I remembered the post ws on DIY and spotted the tee 😉 😉
Lovely pic! 🙂 Your baby looks like an angel.
You are a marvelously creative woman. Loved that idea. Not sure whether I got it correctly but I’m gonna try it out .. !!! & I know whom to contact henceforth for innovative gift ideas.
It’s a cool idea 🙂
I’d have blatantly copied it had the in laws not been around 😉
Now I’l go for the designing T-shirt idea 😀
But the pic is so sweet 🙂
Gr8 work Shruti!
I did try it before but never came this beautiful…
Awww look at lil P…so adorable *touchwood*
Nice post. Good idea.
@Meira: The printed Tee also look really cool! I’ve got cups, calenders, teeshirts, keychains, mouse pads printed and gifted to many ppl 🙂 Next time (or on ur aniv) u can try the other Tee idea.
@EC: Actually now that i look at the pic, i am liking it more. I have tiny hands, n after spray painting the prints looked huge n i was not very happy with the result. Now, I don’t have the time to make such stuff. 🙂
@Swaram : I’m sure ur dad must hav saved it till now!! Hubby dearest wore it n then one day it disappeared.. anyway he wore it n it was fun making it 🙂
I miss those days soooooo much.. Lil P is a darling. 🙂
@Lostworld: She looks like that doesn’t she.. n she was born 1 month early too!!
Wow, this is such a cool idea.
My husband’s B’day is also in Oct, I’;ll probably involve my lil son in this project. I am sure he’ll enjoy it too.
BTW: Very cute pic of lil P 🙂
Lil P looks super cute.
Nice one, looks good. You are totally into the crafts thingy, I’m so lazy in this area. I just got a photograph (of hubby and Aashna) printed on a black t-shirt for my hubby’s B’day through an online website.
have spray painted a lot as a kid , never thought of it on a T though ..will make one for Aryan now with his hands only ..some day 🙂
awesome idea..lemme try this and will tel u how has been my art 🙂
@dilSe : Do share the pic..
@TPL : Thnaks. She was soooo chubby chubby as a baby.. Miss those days of holding her in my arms constantly..
@SG: Just some fun ideas..
@Priyanks: Gah!! I was soo into these things before Lil p was born.. Now I get T-shirts printed too! 🙂
@Swati: Ya! It’ll b fun. I’lltry other fun ideas with Lil P’s hand prints and we can both try it out 🙂
@Shruti- Cool! Waiting to see ur version of the same technique.
your ideas and works are amazing. They are so easy too! 🙂
Oh I so liked this idea! What a simple inexpensive way!
That is a really nice and perfect picture! I love the hand print painting! It really looks adorable.
first time on your blog…your blog is great! This is a great idea! I have used toothbrush for painting but not tried like this.
http://crafthaaven.blogspot.in/ visit my blog too
Nice idea to do it on a t-shirt