Need a spring-theme handmade gift for a friend? This DIY Felt Ladybug Pencil Topper is the perfect choice! Make matching ones to share with your best buddy!
Have you seen the pictures of the lady who set up a different tree for every holiday – not just Christmas! Every tree looked lovely and truly celebrated the season it represented!
I love that about seasons – it’s a great opportunity to refresh everything, whether it’s your wardrobe or your decor. If you’re a stationery lover like me, it also means that you get to revamp your stationery hoard!
Since spring is on its way, we thought it would be fun to dress up our plain pencils in something springy, and we couldn’t think of anything better than ladybugs! So what we have today is a cute DIY felt ladybug pencil topper, that’s easy enough for a sewing beginner, and cute enough to gift your best friend!
DIY Felt Ladybug Pencil Topper
- Felt in black, white and red
- Needle and thread
How to make the DIY Felt Ladybug Pencil Topper:
1. Using a compass, draw a circle of the size you want your pencil topper to be, on paper. Using this as a template, cut out circles from black and red felt. Cut the red circle into halves and cut one half through the middle so you get two quarters.
2. Cut out antennae from black felt. Cut out more circles from black and white felt as shown below:
3. Lay out one black circle on your table. Place the antennae in the right position on top.
4. Place the second black circle on top, so it aligns perfectly with the bottom circle. On the side, use glue to assemble the ladybug’s eyes and wings.
5. Stick the eyes on the upper part of the black circle, below the antennae. Place the ladybug’s wings in the correct position.
6. Using needle and thread, start stitching the ladybug’s different layers together. Start from the bottom end of one wing, moving all around the body and ending at the bottom end of the other wing. There should be a gap between the two black circles at the bottom to slide the pencil through.
7. Push a pencil through the hole and you’re done!
This is a fun project to make if you’re reading about Eric Carle. If you loved this pencil topper and want to make more, try out a minion theme one or a troll themed topper, both made of felt. If you’d like something no-sew, go with our heart shaped pipe cleaner pencil topper or a Pikachu topper made of clay. Or just make an assortment and distribute among all your friends!