How to Make A Stunning DIY Paper Lantern | Diwali Crafts
Brighten up your Diwali with a stunning DIY Paper Lantern that brings not just light but lots of color into your life as well, this festive season!
Diwali is just around the corner, and you know what that means – lots and lots of light all around! Diwali or Deepavali literally translates into the festival of lights and the way we celebrate it in India truly does this word justice!
The lights you see in Diwali can be of any kind – earthenware diyas, tea lights, fairy lights, candles and decorative lanterns. Most homes usually use a mix of all kinds, and you can create some gorgeous combinations with them!
So this Diwali, we’ve got for you a stunning DIY Paper Lantern craft to make. And with all the colors and patterns going on, it’s not going to be just light that enters your home this festive season!
- White Cardstock or Chart Paper – A3 size
- X-acto Knife
- Rubber Craft Cutting Mat
- Colored tissue papers
- White & Gold Polka Dot Washi Tape
- Decorative stickers
- Wire to hang
How to Make a DIY Paper Lantern for Diwali:
1. Trace or draw 4 equal sized rectangles on card stock. Leave a smaller 0.5 inch border at the top & bottom, and another at one side. Look at this template for reference. You can make it as big as you like!
2. Fold along the dotted lines shown and cut along the solid lines outside. Using an x-acto knife, cut out the rectangles in the center. This is better done by adults, since the knife can be dangerous and you need straight lines for the rectangles.
3. What you have now is the frame of your paper lantern with the front facing up. Turn it so that the back now faces you.
4. Cut out rectangles from thin tissue paper – make them slightly bigger than the empty rectangles we cut out earlier with the X-acto knife.
5. Paste these tissue paper rectangles over the corresponding empty spaces on the card stock. As for the color scheme, you can alternate colors, try ombre, or just go random!
6. Now turn the frame back up, with the front facing you. Looks lovely, doesn’t it!
7. Fold and secure all edges to form a paper lantern.
8. Decorate the edges with Washi tape. Go for glittery options for a festive feel. You can also embellish the lanterns with stickers or sequins.
9. Finally, weave a wire at the top so you can hang them. Fix a bulb inside and your lantern is ready!
These lanterns can be hung indoors, outdoors or in the doorway. Though we love how it looks against the greenery of the garden! Make a bunch of these for a fun outdoor Diwali card party and watch your guests enjoy the beautiful glow of light all around!
Don’t forget to check out these Diwali Crafts too!
100+ Diwali Ideas – Cards, Crafts, Decor and Food
Accordion Fold Paper Diyas for Diwali
4 Quick and Easy Diwali Sweets
Diwali Sweets and Snacks
15 Diwali Card Making Ideas
Happy Diwali Firecracker Greeting Card
[…] them in this post as well because Paper Lanterns can’t go out of trend ever. Image Source 1, Image Source 2, Image Source […]
[…] Paper lanterns. These can be as detailed or simple as you want and it’s an easy craft for young children to do with a little bit of guidance. Instructions can be found here. […]
[…] in this post. Look up some easy DIY craft that you’ll love to create with your children. Click to view how to make paper lanterns here. Or you could make a beautiful lotus tea light holder for your […]
This process is quite easy to make and very quick. I love this type of Diwali Lantern. Even I have one more way to craft Simple Diwali LAantern. Read https://diwalidecorations.wordpress.com/2019/09/28/simple-diy-to-make-diwali-lanterns-at-home/ for more information.
May the festival of light Diwali drive out darkness, and evil from the world..have a safe Diwali. Happy Diwali Botswana!
~ Sol le Luna