Felt Gingerbread Man Christmas Ornament Craft + Free Template
This Felt Gingerbread Man Christmas Ornament is as cute a button and pretty simple to make! Hang it on your tree or gift it to a special friend!
“Run, run as fast as you can! You can’t catch me. I’m the Gingerbread Man!” Sounds like the gingerbread man is quite a cheeky character, challenging you to catch him although he knows you can’t!
Just like the holly wreath, poinsettias and reindeer, the gingerbread man has become a classic Christmas icon. You can find him on Christmas cards, wrapping paper, gift tags and of course, the bakery! You can run and run, but you can’t ignore this little guy!
Now, you can have him on your tree too, with our felt gingerbread man Christmas ornament craft! This is an easy craft made with felt and as cute as his multicolored buttons!
Felt Gingerbread Man Christmas Ornament Craft
List of Supplies:
- Printable Template
- Felt fabric in brown, white, black and other bright colors
- Needle and thread
- Cotton wool
- Pencil or pen – for tracing the template
How to Make the Felt Gingerbread Man Christmas Ornament:
1. Prepare the patterns from the template by printing and cutting them out. The template includes 2 body parts (front and back), 1 bow pattern, 2 circles of the same size for the eyes, 3 smaller circles of the same size for the buttons, 2 small strips of the same size, 2 smaller strips of the same size and 1 piece with curved border for the frosting.
2. Use brown fabric for the gingerbread man’s body, black for his eyes and white for his head frosting and the small strips. Choose bright colors for his bow and buttons. Trace the patterns on the selected felt fabric and cut them out.
3. Take one of the body felt pieces, the bow and the circles for the eyes and buttons. Place the eyes and accessories on the body in the right order: eyes on the head, bow on the neck and the 3 circle buttons along the middle line of the body.
4. Prepare needle and thread and start to stitch the pieces on the body. It is easier to do cross stitch for the small pieces. Start stitching the eyes and then move downwards.
5. Stitch the bow and the 3 buttons. Draw the needle and thread to the back of the body, tie 2 knots and cut off extra thread.
6. Take the back body piece and place it under the front piece. Make sure that the sides of both body parts are properly aligned.
7. Place the strips and the curvy pattern (head frosting) on their appropriate places. Stitch each piece making sure to join the strips, the head frosting and the front and back body parts all together.
8. Leave a small opening to stuff the gingerbread man. Insert enough cotton wool through the opening to give it a fluffy look. Be careful not to over-stuff.
9. Once you’re done stuffing, stitch the open end close. Tie 2 tight knots and cut off any extra thread. You can add a hanging mechanism at the back side of the gingerbread man by simply cutting a strip, folding it into half and then stitching the closed end at the back of the gingerbread man.
Isn’t he absolutely adorable? I think that this felt gingerbread man looks sweet and cheery, rather than cheeky. This is a great project for kids who like sewing, and who want to make something for their tree. It’s also a great gift idea for Secret Santa or to stuff in stockings. Now you have a gingerbread man you and your friends can catch!