These Gingerbread Cookie Puppets are sure to delight you and your loved ones this holiday season! Easy to make and super cute to gift!
Can you have Christmas without gingerbread cookies? Of course not! While gingerbread men and gingerbread houses are the most popular, the best part about this recipe is that you can make any shape of cookie that you like – you are only limited by the availability of cookie cutters!
Yes, these spiced cookies are delicious, but you know what else we love about gingerbread cookies? You can easily use them as inspiration for Christmas crafts! And if you use brown card stock, you’ll have something that looks very close to the real thing!
We’ll show you exactly what we mean with today’s craft – a fun gingerbread cookie puppets papercraft, that features patterns beyond the traditional man and house. Just be careful – they may look very realistic, but you shouldn’t eat them!
Gingerbread Cookie Puppets Papercraft
- Brown cardstock paper
- White acrylic paint
- Paint brush – size 0 and 1
- Popsicle sticks
- Craft glue
How to make the Gingerbread Cookie Puppets:
1. Download and print the template for the Gingerbread Cookie Puppets Papercraft. The template includes patterns for the gingerbread man, gingerbread house, Christmas tree, candy cane, star and tinsel. Today we’ll be making the gingerbread man, gingerbread house and gingerbread tree cookie puppets.
2. Trace and cut the patterns you want. You can choose any card stock; here we’ve gone with a thick dark brown cardstock paper that resembles real gingerbread. Cut out all the patterns neatly. You can also draw these freehand if you don’t have access to a printer.
3. Use a pencil to draw details on the gingerbread cookie puppets cutouts. These details include snow, decorations and others like facial features or windows and doors.
4. Prepare white paint and get a brush of size 0 or 1. Let’s begin with the Christmas tree cardstock cutout. We started by tracing the outline of the top part and then painted the outline of the second, and so on.
5. Continue adding details by painting the outline of the tree trunk. Fill the Christmas tree with small polka dots or any other small patterns. Let it dry.
6. Now let’s paint the gingerbread man cookie cutout. We started by painting the borders on the top side of the head as well as the outer parts of the arms and legs.
7. Finish the gingerbread man cookie cutout by painting the face, a bow tie and some buttons. Leave it to dry properly.
8. For the house cardstock cutout, start by painting the roof.
9. Use a thin brush to add as many tiny details to the house as you like, like a door, windows and decorative patterns. Let the paint dry.
10. When the paint is dry, attach the cardstock gingerbread cookie puppets on Popsicle sticks with glue. You can use a glue gun or regular craft glue.
And just like that, your Gingerbread Cookie Puppets are ready!
Once again, let us remind you that these are not edible, although they may look like they are! You can also draw freehand to make any other shape of gingerbread cookie puppets that you like. Take inspiration from our Snowman Popsicle stick craft as well as our elf Popsicle stick craft or reindeer Popsicle stick craft. With so many characters, you can put on your very own Christmas show for the whole family!