Deck up your home with this fun and festive Holly Garland Papercraft that’s perfect for this season! Let this year be one of DIY holiday decor!
When it comes to Christmas icons around the world, there are quite a few! In fact, if you were to consider just the flora associated with Christmas, we’d have quite a big list!
Of course, there’s the Christmas tree, but another classic icon of Christmas greenery is holly. Holly is a hardy plant that survives winters, and since Christmas occurs in winter in many countries, holly naturally became a part of Christmas decor. Maybe the bright red and green against white snow was deemed to be the perfect festive canvas!
Even today, holly is an irreplaceable part of Christmas decor everywhere, and just one holly leaf and a few berries can instantly give a space a festive look. If you can’t find holly plants in your area, don’t worry – we’ve got a fun and festive holly garland papercraft for you today, which is super easy to make, with impressive results!
Fun and Festive Holly Garland Papercraft
- Colored craft papers
- Craft glue
How to make the Holly Garland Papercraft:
1. Download the template for the Holly Garland Papercraft. The template contains patterns for the leaves and for the berries.
2. Trace the patterns on colored paper and cut them out. Go with shades of green for the leaves and red for the berries. The template has different sizes – you can choose the one you like.
3. When cutting the leaf and berry patterns of different sizes, make sure to cut them in pairs as every piece has two parts. Take the leaf cutouts and fold them into half lengthwise so you get two symmetrical halves.
4. Take the berry cutouts and fold them into half as well.
5. Time to assemble the parts of the holly garland papercraft! Cut out a small piece of square paper, you can use a green or red colored paper as you like. Apply two glue dots on the base of the paper.
6. Grab 2 half folded leaf patterns of the same size and place them side by side, along their closed ends and on the glued part of the paper
7. Add another set of leaf patterns beside the previous one. Leave the upper part of the paper strip blank. Make more leaves in this manner.
8. Now, grab the folded circles and place 2 pieces side by side to craft a 3-D berry pattern.
9. Add 1 or 2 more 3-D berry patterns on the empty space of the square paper or as many as you need to fill the blank space. Your berries are ready for the holly garland papercraft!
10. Cut out a piece of string and attach the 3-D holly berry on the string. Attach more berries, leaving a small gap between them, till you complete the garland.
11. That’s it – your holly garland papercraft is done!
There are many, many decorations you can make yourself – this holly garland papercraft is just one of them. You can decorate with mason jars, wreaths and even pasta! There are loads of Christmas ornaments too that you can make, and deck up your tree. This year, why not have a complete DIY Christmas? You’ll save money, the environment and also flex your crafting muscles!