Another Saturday and another class.. But things were different this time. I now have a marketing manager, a smart savvy 5 year old, who went and freely invited all her garden friends – “My mummy is taking craft classes on Saturday. Come to my house” LOL. and we went from 3 to 8 kids [ including Lil p] . The theme for the class this time was “A Bugs’s life”
The very Hungry Caterpillar crafts – Its a Bug’s Life
We made a Hungry caterpillar , a fluttering butterfly.. and incy-wincy spider to creep things out a bit 😀
To Make the Caterpillar
- Twist 2 Green pipe cleaners together and bend into a worm shape.
- Bead some cute plastic beads through and you have a simple caterpillar ready.
- Cut a Green leaf from some handmade paper and using a paper punch make some holes to show that the caterpillar ate them
To make the Paper Butterfly
- We traced a butterfly on a paper & cute it out. Colored the borders a thick black color.
- Next color the wings.
- String a thin metal wire through its center and attach a long stick at the other end.
- Now ask the kids to run around the room and watch as the butterfly flutters its wings.
To make the Spider
- Color the 2 Thermocol / Styrofoam balls ( One big for the body & a smaller one for the head ) black using poster colors.
- Let dry.
- Using a wooden skewer make 3 holes on the body from one end to the other. Be careful not to poke yourself
- String a black pipe cleaner from one end to the other and bend to resemble legs.
- Stick on 2 large googly eyes and you are done.
I had planned to read aloud the Hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle but in the midst of the craft class my 7 month old Persian kitten jumped out the first floor balcony and ran away.. Hubby went searching for it for 15 mins.. while I waited with 8 kids at hand. When I could take it no more, I gave them the butterfly craft to color, asked hubby to monitor them and went down. Luckily I found the kitten within minutes hiding under a car nearby.. pretty scared. He’s alright btw.
Lil P however is feeling rather jealous that I’m paying attention to other kids too. Her temper tantrums got a little too much to handle today.. Sigh. Snacks for the kids – Jam & cheese mini sandwiches, Cheese balls, Apple juice and Honey loops. No guesses – the cheese balls and honey loops were the first to finish. All in all , it was a pretty exciting day today!!
My happy Crafters
The crafts have been inspired by Eric Carle’s books and are a tribute for his birthday – 25th June
Next week its going to be underwater special.. Lil P is my creative director too 😉