Paper Bag Cat in the Hat Craft
This Paper Bag Cat in the Hat is an easy, fun craft for little kids who have just been introduced into the wonderful, whacky world of Dr. Seuss!
If you were sitting bored at home with your siblings and wondering what to do, how would you feel if a cat entered the house? Well, if it were a regular cat, you’d probably pet it or feed it. But if it’s Dr. Seuss’ Cat in the Hat, it changes everything!
If you’ve read the book, you’ll know that the Cat in the Hat brings utter chaos into the house, in no small part thanks to Thing 1 and Thing 2. However, while he’s there, he also spouts some pearls of wisdom, some of which are quite insightful, like “I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny” or “It is fun to have fun But you have to know how”
However, the cat can also be snarky; for instance when the kids say “Cat, you ruined mom’s dress!“, he replies, “Honey, it was ruined when she bought it.” Yes, he can be quite cheeky, but then he’s a Seuss character!
So if you’re sitting bored at home today and don’t know what to do, we’ve got a cute paper bag cat in the hat craft for you. Make it and have your very own Dr. Seuss themed puppet show at home. The best part – you can make it as crazy as you like!
Paper Bag Cat in the Hat Craft
- Brown paper bag
- Craft paper in multiple colors
- Black marker
How to make the Paper Bag Cat in the Hat:
1. Download and print the paper bag cat in the hat template. The template contains parts like the cat’s head, face, tummy, feet, tail, bow, stripes and of course, the hat!
2. Trace the parts onto craft paper of the appropriate colors and cut them out. You only need the basic colors for this: black for the head, feet and tail, white for the face, tummy and hat, along with red for the bow and stripes.
3. Let’s start with the most identifiable feature of this paper bag cat in the hat – the hat! Dr. Seuss’ cat has a hat with red and white stripes, so let’s make this by sticking the red stripes onto our white hat. Cut off any excess that falls out of the hat’s area.
4. Let’s move on to the next part – stick the cat’s face on the head. You’ll notice they’re nearly the same size, but the head is larger, leaving some parts sticking out of the face. Make a slit in the bottom of the hat.
5. Take out your black marker and draw on the cat’s facial features – eyes, nose, and that crazy grin! Make it as wide as you like!
6. Time for the cat to dress up! Insert the cat’s head into the slit of the hat, so that the portion of the head above the ears is now under the hat.
7. Cut out a rectangle from black paper, of the same size as the front of the paper bag. The flap of the paper bag’s bottom will lie above this section.
8. Stick the cat’s shoes to the bottom of the black rectangle, gluing inside the paper bag.
9. Our cat isn’t all black – he’s got a white tummy! Stick this to the front of the black rectangle, aligning the bottom edges.
10. We’re almost done with our paper bag cat in the hat craft! Stick the cat’s head on top of the paper bag’s flap. It’s looking good!
11. Only a few final things to add – the cat’s tail and bow tie! Stick the tail to one side of the cat’s body and the bow tie under his head. That’s it – your paper bag cat in the hat is ready!
This paper bag cat in the hat craft would go perfectly with our other puppet crafts – it would be fun to mix worlds and create your very own universe! When you think about it, the possibilities are simply endless!