Love Dr Seuss? Then you’ll love making this Paper Plate Cat in the Hat Craft! Easy enough for beginner crafters and needs only basic supplies!
Imagine someone comes home to entertain your kids while you’re out. He messes up the place real bad, but just before you get home, he cleans it all up and makes it better than before. Would you love him or hate him?
If it’s someone as interesting as the Cat in the Hat, you have no option but to be in awe of him! After all, not everyone can create a humongous mess and clean it up in a matter of hours, all while you have a disapproving fish in the picture!
Today we celebrate the quirkiness of this popular Seuss character with a Cat in the Hat craft. This one uses paper plates and craft paper and is super easy to put together. Be sure to read the book too – it’s one of those books that never gets old!
Paper Plate Cat in the Hat Craft
- Paper plate
- Googly eyes
- Craft paper in different colors
How to make the Paper Plate Cat in the Hat Craft:
1. Cut out the basic shapes needed to make the cat in the hat. A hat shape out of white paper, red stripes and black triangles.
2. Stick the red stripes on the hat, leaving some white space in between.
3. Turn the paper plate upside down. Color in the outer edge of the paper plate with a black marker pen.
4. Continue till you’ve covered the entire border of the plate.
5. Stick the hat on top of the paper plate with glue.
6. Stick on the googly eyes on the paper plate. Draw eyebrows and a nose with the black marker.
7. Using the same marker, draw a smile and whiskers.
8. Stick on the triangles on either side of the hat. Your cat in the hat is ready!
Seriously, how easy is this craft! Toddlers can help with the sticking, while preschoolers can hep with cutting out the pieces. This activity also helps kids learn about using shapes in different ways, as well as how they can convert plain things into something with a personality. If you’d like to try out more Seuss characters, check out our Toilet Paper Roll Lorax Craft, Horton hears a Who craft and the Cat in the Hat’s friends, Thing 1 and Thing 2 bookmarks!