Our Paper Calla Lily Flower Craft proves that you don’t have to spring to officially arrive to start celebrating it! Gather some colored paper and get crafting!
The first time I heard that every flower had a different meaning, I was intrigued! I mean, flowers are gorgeous and everyone loves them, but the fact that you can use them to convey a message without words? Subtlety wins the day!
We all know that roses represent love, but even there, the color matters. There are others too – for instance, Gardenia is for secret love, hyacinth is for sorrow and poppies are for consolation. This is really fun to learn about, so I’m not giving out any spoilers about the remaining flowers!
However, we’ll tell you about one flower, the calla lily, which represents beauty. Since spring is just round the corner, we decided to make our very own paper calla lilies, which you can then gift to someone who makes your life beautiful with their presence!
Paper Calla Lily Flower Craft for Kids
- Craft paper in green and other bright colors
- Craft sticks
How to make the Paper Calla Lily Craft:
1. Paint the craft sticks green and let them dry.
2. Cut out a perfect square from the colored craft paper. Fold it in half diagonally and unfold so you get a diagonal crease.
3. Fold the square into half and then into quarters. Unfold so you now get two perpendicular creases, along with the earlier diagonal crease, all of them intersecting at one middle point.
4. Fold the top two corners of the square inwards so they meet in the middle point.
5. Fold the bottom corners inwards at an angle, so they overlap, as shown in the image below.
6. Fold the left half over the right, so you get a triangle with the base on the left, and a top and bottom side on the right.
7. Cut a semi circular notch in the top side of the triangle as shown in the image above.
8. Unfold the triangle. You will get a shape as shown in the image below.
9. Cut out two strips from craft paper of a contrasting color and glue them in the middle of the flower, to make tendrils.
10. Cut out two leaf shapes from green craft paper. Fold along the center and unfold to get creases.
11. Stick the flower on top of the painted craft stick. Stick the leaves at the base of the flower. Your paper calla lily is ready!
Go ahead and make as many calla lilies as you like, in different colors. These would also make a fun bookmark for your spring reading. If you enjoyed making this, you may also like making egg carton flowers, corrugated paper flowers or crepe paper flowers. Come to think of it, anything can be turned into a gorgeous bloom!