Say ‘No’ to nightmares with this Easy Pom Pom Dream Catcher Craft! With colored yarn and pom poms, this is an easy craft that’ll brighten up your room!
When you put your kids to bed, do you have any special ritual that helps to keep nightmares away? I asked around and found that there were all kinds of traditions around the world!
Some said a prayer and blew over the child, while some placed an idol or cross or special crystal by the bedside. Some parents relied on a ‘dream chasing’ teddy bear, while some others opt for a dream catcher.
With so many options, it can be hard to choose! But we found the dream catcher to be particularly attractive, probably because it’s so colorful – there’s simply no room for bad dreams when it’s so bright! So why not go ahead and make your own super colorful dream catcher, with pom poms and yarns in every color of the rainbow!
Easy Pom Pom Dream Catcher Craft
List of Supplies:
- Craft wire or round hoop
- Colorful yarns
- Colorful pompoms
- Colorful craft feathers
- Colorful papers (if you want to add flowers)
- Hot glue gun
How to make the Pom Pom Dream Catcher:
1. Make a hoop using 16 gauge craft wire or you can simply use a store bought hoop for the dream catcher.
2. Select a yarn and tie a knot around the hoop without cutting the yarn from the bundle.
3. Randomly wrap the yarn inside the hoop. Each time the yarn reaches the hoop band wrap it around the hoop band once or twice on that spot to make sure that it stays still. Once you are satisfied with the random yarn pattern bring it to the band again and tie 2 tight knots. Cut off extra yarn.
4. Grab a different colored yarn and similarly wrap it randomly inside the hoop. Use 1 or 2 more different colored yarns for random wrapping.
5. Once the yarn wrapping is complete, grab some colourful pom poms. Arrange them around the hoop in a color pattern of your choice.
6. Attach the pom poms around the hoop using a hot glue gun. Keep an even distance between the pom poms when gluing them.
7. Now let’s add some yarn hanging to the hoop! Determine a length for the yarn hanging on the dream catcher and cut a yarn strand of double the required length. Fold it into half and attach it to the hoop by a loop knot.
8. Grab different colored yarn strands and attach them to the hoop in the same manner. Use scissors to trim the bottom ends of the yarn. You can keep them straight or cut them into a triangular shape.
9. Now get the colored craft feathers and attach them on the open bottom ends of the yarn hanging. You can select a few strands for adding the feathers or you can add feathers to all of them, however you want.
10. Once you’re done, create a loop of yarn on the top so you can hang your dream catcher. If you want to add more decorative items like sequins or jewels, go ahead!
Now isn’t that a dream catcher that’ll perk up any room? Even if you aren’t concerned about dreams, this is the perfect little decor piece to lift up any drab corner of your child’s playroom or study. And while you’re DIYing the decor, go ahead and try out some more wall decor ideas – a Scrabble Tile Wall Art, a clay name plate or a cool melted crayon monogram art!