Celebrate two classic icons of St Patrick’s Day with our Rainbow and Shamrock Popsicle Stick Craft! All you need are cupcake liners, craft sticks and paper!
You know how Easter is always associated with eggs, chicks and bunnies? And Christmas has mistletoe, stockings and angels? As for St Patrick’s Day, the most popular icons have got to be shamrocks, rainbows and leprechauns!
It is said that St Patrick, after whom the holiday is named, used the three leafed shamrock as a tool to teach people about the Holy Trinity. That’s how this unique plant became such an unmistakable icon of this holiday. As for the rainbow, well we all know what’s hidden at the end of it – a pot of gold!
So we’re celebrating these St Paddy classics with a craft – a Rainbow and Shamrock Popsicle Stick Craft. All you need for this are cupcake liners, Popsicle sticks and craft papers – that’s it!!
Rainbow and Shamrock Popsicle Stick Craft
List of Supplies:
- Craft Sticks – one plain and one green
- White and Green cupcake liners
- Craft paper in different colors
- Shiny embellishments
- Scissors and glue
How to make the Rainbow and Shamrock Popsicle Stick Craft:
1. Cut out strips of equal sizes from craft paper so you have six colors of the rainbow – violet, blue, yellow, orange and red. The green Popsicle stick will serve as the seventh color.
2. Fold the white cupcake liner into half and stick both halves together.
3. Place the cupcake so that the curved side faces up. Stick the rainbow strips on the bottom edge of the cupcake, leaving space for the Popsicle stick in the middle.
4. Stick on the green Popsicle stick in the middle and turn the liner over. Your rainbow is ready.
5. For the shamrock, fold the green cupcake liner into half, and then into a quarter.
6. Cut out the open edge into two curves so you get a heart shape.
7. Open up the cupcake liner to get a four leafed shamrock. With a pencil, draw a stem on one of the leaves.
8. Cut out the liner along the stem outline to get a shamrock with three leaves and a stem.
9. Stick the shamrock on the Popsicle Stick. Embellish with shiny jewel stickers.
10. You can also skip the step of outlining and cutting the stem. Instead, you can use the four leafed shamrock as it is, and add a strip of green craft paper for the stem.
If you like, you can make this craft a little sturdier by sticking the white cupcake liner on card stock cut into a semi circle shape. You could also stick cotton wool for some more texture, or write in your friend’s names if you plan to give these out as gifts. I can’t think of any reason not to!