I have always been fascinated by terracotta jewelery . I love their earthy look and how fab they look when teamed up with Indian Ethnic wear. The air dry clay that I had bought looked quite easy to mold and I thought why not try making some jewelery pieces. What do you think??
Steps to make your own –
- Roll your air dry clay or any other type of clay you are comfortable with into balls about an inch tall.
- Using a rolling pin, roll them into ovals about 3 cm thick.
- Cut them into desired shapes using a blunt edge knife
- Using a toothpick make a hole to pass the string through
- Let it dry for a min of 24 hrs.
- Once Dry, paint them black using all surface acrylic colors. The key here is not to use any water. Another tip is to leave the bottom bare while painting the top. Once the top is completely dry, paint the bottom.
- Once dry, Use basic shades like, red – yellow , dark blue – light blue, Green – yellow, Balck white etc and draw simple geometrical designs as above. Wait for 1 color to completely dry before applying the next.
- Once they are completely dry, apply a coat of modpodge / clear varnish to seal the paint in. Again this is optional.
- Buy ready made earring loops / hooks available at hobby stores or with jewelery making kits and using pliers, loop through the clay tablets.
- Wear them and show them off to your friends. My neighbors liked them so much they picked them all.
Why don’t you give it a try too and then share the pics. Linking this post to Patricia’s Weekend Wrap up 3.