Check out 70+ INDIA INDEPENDENCE DAY CRAFTS AND ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS – From India Flag crafts to crafts on National Symbols – Tiger, Peacock, Lotus, Mango & Tri-Color Party Food.
Independence Day is a national holiday all of us look forward to every year. Growing up, we all have fond memories of the holiday – from flag hoisting, marc pasts at school, enacting plays, history lessons and most importantly feeling that infectious patriotic zeal in hearts. For kids, the day is even more special. Here are some ways you can celebrate Independence Day festivities in a safe way, without stepping out of your home.
When is the Independence Day of India?
How is Independence day celebrated in India?
What is the theme for the Independence Day celebration 2022?
This year the theme of Independence Day celebrations will be ‘Nation First, Always First’. From paintings to floral arrangements, from hashtags to social messages – all aspects of the programs will bear the ‘Nation First, Always First’ theme.
What are some of the Indian Independence Day Activities for Children?
- Attend a Flag Hoisting. Independence Day celebrations are incomplete without hoisting the tricolor.
- Help Organise Plays or Skits on the theme of freedom struggle.
- Setup an Indian Independence Day Dance and Song Competition – It’s the perfect day to sing some patriotic songs. Also a chance to showcase our various dance forms.
- Participate in a Fancy Dress Competition – Play dress-up as famous freedom fighters Mahatma Gandhi, Subhash Chandra Bose, Bhagat Singh, Jawaharlal Nehru, or even Rani Laxmibai.
- Watch Patriotic Movies – Gandhi (1982), Roja (1992), Border (1997), Rang de Basanti (2006), Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (2013), Dangal (2016), Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019) are some family favorites.
- Buy Books – 32 Amazing Children’s Books about India’s Independence to Read Right Now.
- Take Your Kid for a Historical Walk – A heritage walk is a wonderful tool to explore the unexplored and neglected richness of the country. Each city has its own specific ones – Go on a food trial, or learn the history of bygone eras.
Here we have some very easy activities that even kids can do!! These independence day activities are for kids with some assistance from Mom, Dad, or an older sibling, so that even a young child can get into the spirit of Independence Day!
Need some last-minute ideas for India’s Independence Day Celebrations at your home, apartment, or school? We have everything you need!
70+ INDIA INDEPENDENCE DAY CRAFTS AND ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
India Flag Crafts | Tricolour Craft | Independence Day art and craft
The Indian Flag is a horizontal rectangular tricolor with equally sized deep saffron at the top, white in the middle, and India green at the bottom. In the center is a navy blue wheel with twenty-four spokes, known as the Ashoka Chakra. The flag is based on the Swaraj flag designed by Pingali Venkayya
Click on the links below for instructions and more pictures!
– A small cardstock & acrylic colors are all you need to make this cute India Flag colored bookmark
A spin-off on the India flag. Make an Indian Flag craft using pulses and glue to stick. Draw the Indian Flag on a piece of paper, then apply glue. Ask your child to add pulses according to the Flag colors. Green Moong, Red masoor dal, White Urad Dal and Rajma for the Pole
These make great Indian Republic / Independence Day Decorating Ideas or handheld fans for kids. Idea via RedtedArt.
Make a Rolled paper Indian Flag | Indian Republic Day / Independence Day decoration ideas
Take part in your society’s Flag hoisting by making your own rolled paper flags. First, begin with a sheet of white rectangular paper. Fold the paper in quarters. Then open up the paper so you have four sections. Cut off one of the sections. Next, roll up from the other end of the paper as shown below which will become the flag pole. Use a piece of tape or glue to secure rolled paper from unrolling. Once it is taped it is ready to be painted or colored with markers or crayons as the kids wish.
Paper Fan Bunting for Indian Republic Day / Independence Day Class Decoration
Make these lovely Indian Republic Day / Independence Day Decoration Tri-Color Paper Fan Bunting – Idea via RedTedArt!
Hand painting, face painting is very popular. You should only use non-toxic, child-safe paints.
Make an Indian Flag rangoli
Make an Indian Flag with Multiple Hand Prints –
The first tray was an introduction to our tri-color national flag, along with some geographical study. I created a little Asia continent printable with India on it. We also studied the phonic sound “I” of India. studied about famous freedom fighters of India along with some special national attributes. Idea via Mummadiaries.com
– Use crayon shavings to make your flag card.
Putti’s amma shares some fabulous tips on how to throw a fabulous one.
– Lolly stick flags, and Pipecleaner bracelets in tricolors are a MUST for any India theme party
INDIAN Republic Day / Independence Day CROWN/HAT using paper plate –
make a Fun crown using paper plates
– Learn about Indian currency & its designs.
– More tricolour room decor ideas
Love the idea to make your own rolled paper bracelets
Make a tricolor decoration flower
This papercraft is easy to cut and assemble and looks really pretty as a classroom decoration. Check the video for the step-by-step instructions. Some more ideas are below.
Check out our post 10+ Tricolor Paper Quilling ideas for India’s Independence Day – Tricolor cards, flowers, and earrings all using paper strips.
– Wear an India tricolor badge on your shirt
Try some Tricolour nail art
As part of the history of India, we learn about post-independence history, and that includes learning about the constitution – one that came into effect on 26th January 1950, when independent India became a republic.
Leila Seth, a former judge of the Supreme Court, has come up with this fabulous book that simplifies these ideas without talking down to children and also makes them interesting enough to stick. Told in verse form, with a large dollop of humor, this is the perfect book to talk about India’s constitution, for all ages above 5 years. Adults, too.
National symbols of India depict the country’s image and have been chosen very carefully.
- The national animal, the tiger symbolizes power;
- the national flower, the lotus symbolizes purity;
- the national tree, the banyan tree symbolizes immortality,
- the national bird, the peacock symbolizes elegance,
- and the national fruit, mango symbolizes the tropical climate of India.
- Similarly, our national song and national anthem were a source of inspiration during the freedom struggle.
- The national emblem of India depicts four lions standing back to back, symbolizing power, courage, pride, and confidence.
- Hockey was at its peak when it was adopted as the national game of India.
Here are some Indian Symbol Crafts to make with kids
Make Indian National symbols using handprints
Make these cute bookmarks using cardstock & markers.
National Bird of India – Peacock Crafts
The Indian peacock is designated as the national bird of India. A bird indigenous to the subcontinent, the peacock represents the unity of vivid colors and finds references in Indian culture. On February 1, 1963, The Government of India decided to make the Peacock the national bird of India.
Make a Handprint peacock
Paint peacock feathers on glasses for that added oomph to your Independence Day Party
wall hanging. Super easy to make and looks so pretty.
Make a Gorgeous Classroom Display with Tri-Color Peacocks.
Younger kids can make this paper plate version of Peacock. The Best part is these stand on their own and can also be used as table decorations.
National Animal of India – Tiger Crafts
Strength, agility, and power are the basic aspect of the tiger. The Bengal Tiger was declared as the national animal of India in April 1973, with the initiation of Project Tiger, to protect the tigers in India. Prior to this, the lion was the national animal of India.
Raawwwrrrr! Bring out your inner beast and terrorize the village with this realistic-looking tiger headband!
via Learn Create Love. Print, cut and paint 🙂
This DIY Heart tiger craft is super fun too. Explore shapes and animals.
– Use a paper Cup or Foam Cup and paint it to resemble a Tiger. Growl.
National Flower of India – Lotus Crafts
Lotus which symbolizes spirituality, fruitfulness, wealth, knowledge, and illumination is the National flower of India. It is a sacred flower and occupies a unique position in the art and mythology of ancient India and has been an auspicious symbol of Indian culture since time immemorial.
National Fruit of India – Mango Crafts
The National Fruit of India: Mangoes are native to India and thus truly Indian. Since time immemorial, mangoes have been cultivated in India. In ancient times as well, the deliciousness of mangoes has been defined by many renowned poets. The great Mughal emperor Akbar had planted about 1,00,000 mango trees in Lakhi Bagh in Darbhanga.
Make a mango fruit paper collage.
Make a watercolor mango bunting
National Tree of India – Banyan Tree Crafts
The Banyan tree represents eternal life, because of its ever-expanding branches. The country’s unity is symbolized by the tree’s huge structure and its deep roots. The tree is also known as Kalpavriksha, which means ‘wish fulfilling tree’.The Banyan tree is called so because Banyan tree has immense medicinal properties and is associated with longevity. The Banyan tree also gives shelter to many different kinds of animals and birds, which represent India and its people from different races, religions, and castes.
Indian Tricolor Party Food – Republic day / Independence Day Party Food Ideas
Make a Tri-Color Sundae – Mango, Tender Coconut & Thandai
Skewer some Carrot/ Red Capsicum, paneer & Green Capsicum
Make a Tricolour Pasta Salad
Set up a Tri color Fruit salad
What do you think of this collection? Do you have more ideas to share? I’d love to feature them on the blog & on my FB page.
Also check out –