This DIY Christmas Paper Basket is the perfect craft to make and gift this holiday season! Fill it with candy, ornaments or tiny little gifts!
Don’t you love the sight of gifts lying piled together? The brightly wrapped packages, each one vying for attention under the tree or on a table! Yes, colorful wrapping paper and gift tags and bows work well for gifts of at least a basic size, but what about the tiny gifts?
Yes, suppose you have a cute little gift that’s just too small to be wrapped – it’s just half the size of the gift tag! Well, if that’s your problem this holiday season, we hear you! Here is the perfect solution for you to give your miniature-size gifts, without having to worry about it getting lost among the pile under the tree. Use a pretty little Christmas Paper basket to put it in! And no, you don’t have to go out to buy more stuff – just make it yourself with colored paper at home!
DIY Christmas Paper Basket Craft for Kids
- Craft paper in two different colors
- Washi Tape
- Stickers, bells or other embellishments
- Pencil and Ruler
- Paper Cutting knife
How to Make the DIY Christmas Paper Basket:
1. The first step is the most important and probably the hardest! On your sheet of colored paper, use a pencil and ruler to mark strips of equal width, about 1 inch. Leave an inch border on one side and start marking from the border to the end of the sheet. Repeat for the other sheet as well.
2. Cut out the strips on each sheet, taking care to stop at the border. Now you’ll have two sheets of strips attached at one end and free at the other.
3. It’s weaving time! Place the two sheets as shown in the image above and start weaving the two together. You should get a nice woven rectangle like the one shown below, with the two borders on adjacent sides.
4. Place the rectangle in a vertical position and identify the central strips of the basket. Now, carefully cut the strip on either side to one square’s length as shown in the image below. Now you can fold the sides of the base upwards.
5. Fold the two parts of the sheet on either side of the base upwards to make the basket sides. Stick the edges together with glue to seal of the basket corners.
6. Decorate the top of the basket with Washi Tape. Fix paper handles – make sure they’re sturdy! Now you can decorate your little basket with embellishments of your choice to make it as pretty as you like!
I can think of a million ways to use this little DIY Christmas Paper Basket craft! You can make tiny versions to hang on the tree, as ornaments. Or you could use it as a gift bag, with little trinkets, candy and other nick-nacks inside. You could also make them gift bags for a Christmas party. The options are just endless, and I’m sure you can think of a few ways to use these yourself!