DIY Heart Zebra Craft For Kids
Try out this cute DIY heart zebra craft that’s sure to win your heart! Perfect for wild animal lessons, for International Zebra Day, or just for fun!
Keeping pets aside, can you think of an animal’s name you mention on a regular basis, although probably in a different context? Got it? No? We’re talking about zebra crossings!
Yes, we mention the black and white crossings almost every day, but how many times do we think about the animal who was the inspiration for it? Unless you’re a Zebra or wild animal lover, it’s unlikely, which is why we’re putting the spotlight on this amazing animal today – with a DIY heart zebra craft!
Part of the horse and donkey family, zebras are quite popular in the media, and you’re sure to remember Marty, the hilarious zebra from Madagascar! Zebras are among the most unique animals in Africa, and unfortunately, their numbers are fast dwindling. That’s why International Zebra Day is observed on January 31st every year to bring attention to this problem.
We’re doing our bit too, by spreading awareness through crafts! Today we have a cute DIY heart zebra craft for you, that’s super easy to make – all you need is paper and markers!
DIY Heart Zebra Craft For Kids
Check out my favorite supplies on Amazon.com
- White paper or card stock
- Black craft paper
How to make the DIY Heart Zebra Craft:
1. Take a sheet of white paper and fold it as shown below, leaving a rectangle on the side. Cut out this rectangle so you’re left with a square.
2. Turn the folded over so the folded edge is to the side. Use the marker to draw a curve as shown.
3. While the paper is still folded, cut along the dotted line made with the marker. Now open the folded paper to reveal a heart.
4. Turn the heart to one side so that the straight edges are on the left and on the top. This forms the base for our DIY heart zebra craft.
5. Cut out the zebra ear from white paper and draw an inner ear inside with a black marker. Use the same marker to draw the zebra’s eye and snout.
6. Stick the ear on the corner of the heart.
7. Take out your marker and shade inside the nose and the inner ear. Your DIY heart zebra craft is looking good!
8. Cut out long strips of black paper and cut thin strips on them, stopping before you reach the end so you get a fringe as shown below.
9. Stick the black fringe on the top and left side, i.e. the straight edges of the initial heart shape.
10. The DIY heart zebra craft is nearly done! Use the marker to draw the zebra’s iconic stripes, in the shape of long triangles.
11. Shade inside the stripes to complete the DIY heart zebra craft. If you like, shade in some pink for the cheeks.
12. Wait, let’s add some more interest to the craft by inserting some grass. You can use green craft paper or plain paper colored green.
We loved how our DIY heart zebra craft turned out! If you’ve tried our DIY Heart Unicorn Paper Craft, you’ll realize that this one is quite similar. The zebra looks perfectly at peace in his habitat, which is how all animals should feel like. If you’d like to learn more about our animal friends and how you can spread awareness, you may like these crafts:
- 100+ Animal Crafts for Kids to celebrate World Animal Day
- Zoo animal Printable headbands pack
- A to Z Animal Craft eBook
- Paper Plate Animal Crafts