DIY Heart Unicorn Paper Craft perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Everyone loves unicorns; especially when they’re as colorful as this DIY Heart Unicorn Paper Craft! Delight your friends with this magical creature!
Just hearing the word ‘unicorn’ conjures up images of rainbows, Stardust and all kinds of magical stuff, doesn’t it? Many world cultures have mythical tales regarding unicorns, including works of art that depict a one-horned horse-like creature.
Unicorns have been the stuff of legends, but in modern days, it’s often used to refer to people who shy away from the norm and tread their own path – and we love this description! If you know someone like that, let them know that they’re special – with a DIY Unicorn Valentine Paper Puppet as a gift!
DIY Heart Unicorn Paper Craft
Materials Required for the DIY Heart Unicorn Paper Craft :
- White Craft Paper
- Colored Marker Pens
How to Make the Unicorn Valentine Paper Puppet:
1. Fold a square piece of paper diagonally and cut a rounded corner at one end, as shown in the image.
2. Unfolding this will give you a heart shape. Now cut some more shapes out of white paper – a rectangle for the mane, a ‘long’ triangle for the horn and a petal shape for the ear.
3. Use your colored markers to color in the mane and the horn. Use any pattern or combination of colors. Go for pink markers to do the inner ear.
4. To give the mane a more realistic look, snip the colored part into thin strips, making sure you don’t cut all the way through the paper.
5. Time to fix the unicorn’s head! Take the heart shape from earlier and place it with the pointy part facing upward.
6. Fold the curved parts inward on the left side, as shown in the images below.
7. Now turn the heart over, so you have the folded portion on the right side now. This is the unicorn’s face.
8. Stick the mane on the straight left edge of the heart, making sure the glued part is underneath. Stick the horn on the top and the ear on the pointy edge of the heart.
9. Time to finish up your unicorn! Fix flowers or any other embellishments of your choice, draw some facial features and your pretty unicorn is ready!
We’d suggest using slightly thicker paper to make the DIY Unicorn Valentine Paper Puppet so that it can withstand all the additional elements you stick upon it.
I also recently made a variation of the same with a different mane and stuck it on top of blue card stock. You could try that too.
While we love the rainbow colors, you can experiment with an ombre scheme too. We can’t think of a better way of turning a heart into a multicolored unicorn, can you?
Check out all our Valentine’s Day Posts – The Ultimate List of 100 Valentine’s Day Crafts and Activities
If you liked this, you may also like these Paper Crafts for Kids:
Popsicle Stick Unicorn Craft
DIY Unicorn Paper Ornament
No Sew Felt Unicorn Pouch + Free Template | Unicorn Craft for teens
U for Unicorn Craft with Printable Template
Rocking Peacock Paper Craft
Rocking Boat Paper Craft
Rocking Chick Paper Craft
Easy Easter Bunny Paper Craft
Rocking Easter Rabbit Craft
Rocking Spring Bird Paper Craft
Mysore Dasara Elephant Paper Craft
So cute, I would never think to reuse a heart as a Unicorn head! Simple and adorable all at once.
We really enjoyed making this clever, easy to follow unicorn craft! It was especially great because I didn’t have to go out and buy anything new to complete it. We had all the necessary supplies at our house. Thank you!
What a great find this blog is! I wonder how I missed this for this long. My daughter loves craft so much and I am extremely happy to find this inspiring blog to be able to spend time with her. Thank you so much and keep up the great work 🙂
Cute craft! I have one question: why is it called a puppet if there isn’t a puppet component?