Make this Paper Bag Fireman Puppet craft to celebrate our brave heroes! Great for pretend play or for putting together your very own puppet show!
We have learned many lessons after COVID-19 hit the planet, and one of the most important ones is that we need to value our emergency workers more. We often give our sports players and movie stars a great deal of attention, but not enough to other important members of our society, like teachers, doctors, policemen and of course – firefighters!
When you think about it, firemen have quite a difficult job. They aren’t as visible as policemen or doctors, but their job is much more dangerous. Jumping into burning buildings and heading towards fire while everyone runs away from it – our firefighters are really brave souls!
That’s why the first Sunday of every May is observed as International Firefighters’ Day, to recognize the dedication and sacrifice of our firefighter heroes, and to ensure safe working environments for them as far as possible.
When is International Firefighters’ Day in 2022?
International Firefighters’ Day falls on Wednesday, 4 May 2022. it is also International Fire Day – celebrating and paying tribute to firefighters, whose careers thrust them into the front line of emergencies
Why is May 4th International Firefighters Day?
The date of May 4 was chosen because it’s the feast day of St. Florian, the patron saint of all firefighters. On this day, there is a ‘Sound Off’ at noon, to show respect for the firefighters who’ve lost their lives in service.
We’re also joining in the celebrations and are going to show our appreciation with a cute little paper bag fireman puppet craft.
Super-Cute Paper Bag Fireman Puppet Craft
- Small paper bag
- Craft paper in red, yellow, brown, and black
How to make the Paper Bag Fireman Puppet:
1. Cut out the parts needed for the paper bag fireman puppet. Use red for the helmet and the fireman’s suit, and choose yellow for the stripes and emblem.
You can use any shade of brown or beige for the skin, which will be used for the hands and face. Go with black or dark brown for the hair and the boots of the paper bag fireman puppet.
2. Let’s get the base of our paper bag fireman puppet ready. Cut out a red rectangle the size of the paper bag. Stick the red rectangle on the paper bag so it completely covers the front.
3. Stick the hair on the face with glue. Get the helmet of the paper bag fireman puppet ready by sticking the emblem on it, and cutting a slit for the head to pass through.
4. Insert the head through the slit in the helmet. Draw on facial features and the head of your paper bag fireman puppet is ready!
5. Stick the assembled head on top of the paper bag, sticking on the side covered with red.
6. Assemble the arms of the paper bag fireman puppet. Use two thin red rectangles for the arms and stick two narrow yellow stripes on the cuffs. Attach the hands, sticking behind the arm pieces. Once the arms are ready, stick them to either side of the paper bag.
7. The paper bag fireman puppet is starting to look good! Stick the broad yellow stripes horizontally on the body.
8. Finish up your puppet by sticking the narrow stripes on the bottom and attaching the shoes to it. That’s it, your paper bag fireman puppet is ready to play with!
I know many kids who aspire to become firefighters when they grow up, and they will particularly enjoy making this paper bag fireman puppet craft. You can use any combination of skin tones and hair colors to create a diverse team of firefighters.
If you’d like to create your own firefighting adventure, go on and add some more puppets to your collection, like a dinosaur, beaver, badger, or some additional superheroes. If you’d like to make things a little crazy, go ahead and add a clown into the mix!