Are you Ready for Spring?? I just can’t have enough of the beautiful weather here in Bangalore. The mango flowers are in full bloom and come spring / summer and the city is bursting with pink, yellow and purple flowers – jacaranda, tabebuia and so many more. So I wanted to get the feel of Spring indoors and decided to use stuff from the kitchen to create a spring art work. We love Veggie printing and have made a Antarctic theme Potato Print Penguin, Potato Print T-shirts and even tried warli ( Folk Art form of India) . This time around, we decided to try
Vegetable Prints : Making Spring flowers with Okra & Beans
A lovely Spring and Mother’s Day activity for kids to make garden art and pretty cards. They also provide an opportunity to explore a wide color palette and endless shape possibilities.
For the Art, you’ll need –
- Okra – one for each color
- French Bean – 1
- White card stock
- Poster Colors in Red, Orange, Green, Yellow & Blue
- Black marker
- Tissue paper
To make the Spring flowers with Okra & Beans –
- Cut the Okra in the middle and take out the seeds carefully. When you make a sideways cut into okra a beautiful, perfect flower shape is made, ready to stamp onto paper!
- Pour small quantities of paint on a paper plate or palette
- Blot out the extra stickiness of the okra on the tissue paper
- Dip in paint. We dipped them in 2 colors to give a shaded effect.
- Stamp on paper in a circle to form a flower
- For the leaves & grass , Cut the French bean sideways to make a elongated leaf like stamp.
- Dip in green paint and print sideways
- For the grass, dip in green paint and dab at the bottom of the page.
- using the french bean, paint a stem
- To make the butterfly, first dip the okra in blue paint and stamp side by side to make the top of the wings.
- For the bottom of the wings, use okra
- For the body use the bean or a brush.
- Add details using a black marker and your Spring Craft is ready.
These would make perfect Mother’s day cards or Spring pictures. They are also great for little hands to stamp with and such a gorgeous result..
The Kids Craft Stars and I are joining forces to bring you our MONTHLY craft challenge post. Every month we have a challenge between us bloggers to in-cooperate a different craft medium or technique into a simple kid craft tutorial. This month’s challenge was to use fruits and/or veggies as stamps and I had a blast with this one! Here are all the other awesome ideas..
Bell Pepper Stamping: Bug Craft | A Little Pinch of Perfect
Potato Stamped Ladybug Cards | Glued to my Crafts Blog
Brussel Sprouts Stamped Bunny Craft | I Heart Crafty Things
Stamped Onion Prints | Fun Handprint Art
Magically Appearing Fruit & Vegetable Prints | Pink Stripey Socks
Celery Fish Craft | Crafty Morning
Stamped Okra & French Bean Spring Craft | Artsy Craftsy Mom
Potato Stamped Pandas| I Heart Arts N Crafts
Veggie Stamping with Okra| In the Playroom
Fruit Stamped Lunch Bag | Hello, Wonderful
Stamped Carrot Bugs Craft | Artsy Momma
Follow all our posts over on the Kids Craft Stars Pinterest Board!