This gorgeous 3D Layered Heart Papercraft is a great Valentine’s Day craft for kids – and the kid-at-heart! Perfect for a classroom V-Day project!
Ever since my daughter became a teenager, there’s been a sudden increase in her interests in every field. One of them is her love for KPop, and she talked about it so much that now even I’m now a bonafide fan! And that, my friends, is how I got to know about the finger heart!
If you’re not aware, the finger heart is a tiny heart created when you hold your index finger and thumb in a snapping position. It’s really cute, and with Valentine’s Day coming up, be prepared to see lots of little hearts popping up everywhere!
On that note, isn’t it time for us to have a little heart craft for V-Day? No boring two-dimensional craft will do for us – it’s the era of new-age hearts, which is why we’ve got a 3D layered heart papercraft for you today!
3D Layered Heart Papercraft for Kids
- Card stock or thick craft paper in shades of pink and red
- Craft foam
- X-acto knife/paper knife
How to make the 3D Layered Heart Papercraft:
1. Download and print the 3D layered heart papercraft template. The template features heart shapes in different sizes.
2. Trace the squares with the heart shapes onto craft papers in shades of red and pink. Use a paper knife or x-acto knife to cut out the hearts in the middle. You should be left with some squares with hollowed-out hearts of different sizes.
3. Get out your craft foam and cut out strips about an inch wide. Keep the length the same as the squares with the hearts. You’ll need a total of six strips.
4. We begin our 3D layered heart papercraft with the smallest heart cutout. Stick two strips on opposite ends of the square.
5. Apply glue on the strips. Take the heart cutout that is the next larger and stick it on the strips, ensuring the heart is the right way up, corresponding to the smaller heart underneath. You don’t want a topsy-turvy 3D layered heart papercraft!
6. Take two more strips and stick them on opposite ends of the square facing you. This time, stick on the edges that were blank in step 4. This way, your 3D layered heart papercraft will be more stable and uniform.
7. Apply glue on the strips. Take the next larger heart cutout and stick it on the strips.
8. You know the drill! Stick the last two strips on opposite ends, choosing the same edges as in step 4.
9. Apply glue on the strips and stick the final, largest heart square on it, making sure it’s placed correctly.
10. Take a blank square the same size as our heart cutouts. Turn the 3D layered heart papercraft upside down, so the back of the smallest heart cutout is facing you. Apply glue on the edges of this cutout and stick the blank square on it.
11. Now turn it over and that’s it – your 3D layered heart papercraft is done!
If you enjoyed that, go ahead and make more in different color combinations! It would be really cool to do one with an ombre effect – you just need to choose different shades of a different color and trace the heart cutouts in the right order.
If you’re wondering what you can do with this 3D layered heart papercraft, we’ve got a few ideas. You can attach a ribbon or piece of string and use it as an ornament. You could stand it up on a desk or shelf as a piece of decor. Or you could put a tiny sweet or folded message inside and gift it to your special someone!
If you liked this craft, you may also enjoy these: