Endangered Animals Corner Bookmarks
These Endangered Animals Corner Bookmarks help kids learn about creatures who are in danger. Perfect for Endangered Species Day on 19 May.
When we think of animals like polar bears, pandas or koalas, we think of them as lovable, fuzzy creatures. They’re peaceful and seem to mind their own business – now why on earth would anyone want to put them in danger? Unfortunately, the fact today is that these animals are very few in number, and are close to becoming extinct.
What is the Endangered Species Day?
It is precisely because of this, that writer David Robinson started the Endangered Species Day, observed on the third Friday of every May. This year, it falls on 19th May, and also happens to be the 50th Anniversary of the ESA or Endangered Species Act, launched to protect our endangered animals and keep them from going extinct.
Over the years, this act has helped recover the populations of several animals, including the gray wolf, American alligator and the bald eagle. However, there are still many more animals that need help, and this day is all about raising awareness about them.
That’s why we’re also doing our bit – with some cute endangered animals corner bookmarks! Today, we’re focusing on three animals:
- Giant Panda – Currently listed as ‘vulnerable’, there are only under 2000 pandas in the wild
- Red Panda – They are listed as ‘endangered’ and there are only about 10,000 red pandas left today
- Koala – They were listed as ‘vulnerable’ but it was changed to ‘endangered’ in 2022 due to the bush fires
So let’s learn more about these amazing animals and others, and let’s begin with these bookmarks!
Endangered Animals Corner Bookmarks
- Craft paper in different colors
How to make the Endangered Animals Corner Bookmarks:
1. Download and print the endangered animals corner bookmarks template. The template contains parts of three animal bookmarks – panda, red panda and koala. The parts include the eyes, ears, cheeks and stripes. Trace and cut out the parts of the template using craft papers of the appropriate colors.
2. Let’s start by assembling the face of our panda. Stick the pink inner ears inside the black outer ears and attach them to the two sides of the triangle face. Now stick the eyes inside the grey outer-eye part.
3. Stick the assembled eye pieces on the panda’s face.
4. Attach the cheeks on the bottom part of the face, so that half the circles are visible. Using your marker, draw a little button nose and a cute smile. The face of the first of your endangered animals corner bookmarks is done!
5. Let’s move on to the actual corner bookmark part. Take a square piece of thick paper. Use white so that the animal faces can stand out.
6. Place the square so that it is in a diamond shape with two corners facing your left and right, and the other two facing up and down. Fold it in half, bringing the bottom corner towards the upper one.
7. Fold the two ends of the triangle inwards, so the left and right corners meet at the top.
8. Unfold the folds made in the previous step. You now have a little diamond shape within the triangle.
9. Fold the bottom part of this little diamond towards the top, keeping the bottom layer as it is.
10. Fold the left flap inward, so the left corner meets the bottom one.
11. Tuck this flap inside the fold made in step 9.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 on the right side. You now have a little ‘pocket’ created.
13. Stick the panda face on the top of this pocket. Your first bookmark is ready!
14. Now all you need to do is to repeat the process with the remaining endangered animals corner bookmarks. For the red panda, you have an extra piece for the bottom of the face as well as little ‘eyebrows’, while the koala has a large nose.
To use the endangered animals corner bookmarks, simply slide the corner of your page into the pocket of the bookmark, right under the animal face. That’ll keep your page snug and protected and the next time you open your book, you certainly won’t miss your page!
If you liked these endangered animals corner bookmarks, you may also like these crafts:
- DIY Farm Animal Corner Bookmarks
- 15 Wonderful Woodland Animal Crafts
- 15 Zoo Animal Crafts for Kids
- 15 Ocean Animal Crafts for Kids
- 100+ Crafts for Animal Day