There can’t be a cuter way to express your love than with this Handmade Felt Valentine Owl!! Soft and colorful, this is the perfect Valentine’s Day gift!
If you’ve been around the past couple of months, you must have noticed that we absolutely LOVE making felt crafts – they’re so easy and look so good! You can get felt fabric in any color you want and they are easily available and inexpensive – do we need to go on?
We’ve made a felt snowman, a felt angel and others, but since it’s the season of love, it’s only appropriate that we make a felt craft for Valentine’s Day! And if you’d like to try something other than a teddy bear or unicorn, we have just the thing for you – a cute handmade felt Valentine owl!
You already know that owls are awesome, so there’s no need to elaborate on that here! Instead, let’s go ahead and check out how you can make this super-cute, super-easy and super-colorful little plush owl!
Handmade Felt Valentine Owl
List of Supplies:
- Printable Template – Scroll down to download the PDF Template
- Felt fabric in different colors
- Needle and thread
Instructions to make the Handmade Felt Valentine Owl:
1. Download and print the owl template. The template includes 2 body patterns, 2 heart shapes (wings), 1 small triangle (beak), 2 circles (blush) and 1 semi circular pattern (lower body part of the owl).
2. Choose felt fabric in different colors for the various parts of the plush owl. Trace the template patterns on the selected felt fabrics and cut them out.
3. Take one of the blue body cut pieces and use a pencil to trace eyes on the upper side. Use black thread to stitch the eyes. Once you are done stitching the eyes, draw the needle along with the thread, to the back of the felt piece and tie 2 tight knots. Cut off any extra thread.
4. Place the other body part, the blush and beak cut outs on the front body part of the owl. Prepare needle and thread (matching colored thread for each part). Stitch the different pieces on the appropriate places on the front body piece.
5. Place the 2 heart cutouts on both sides of the owl so they look like wings. Stitch them on the body. I did a criss-cross stitch on the part where each wing and the body part overlapped, to attach them together.
6. Now take the other body cut out and place it under the front body piece. Make sure to align the sides of both body cutouts. Prepare needle and thread.
7. Start to stitch from any point you prefer. Stitch around the sides to join the 2 body pieces. I did a flat blanket stitch but you can also do a running stitch. Continue stitching the sides together leaving a small gap to stuff the owl.
8. You can use cotton for stuffing the owl. If you have lots of scrap felt fabric you can use those as well, best way to make use of them!
9. After stuffing the owl, stitch the opening close to secure the stuffing. Tie 2 tight knots and draw the needle inside the plush and randomly draw it back outside. Cut off extra thread.
10. Stick on sparkly sequins to decorate the owl.
I’m sure you didn’t expect it to be as easy as that! There’s a lot you can do with this little guy – turn it into a bag tag by adding a ribbon, or a key chain by adding a simple ring. You can even turn this into a mini plush pillow! This will go well with our other Valentine felt crafts like the no-sew felt Unicorn Pouch and felt flowers. So go ahead and make sure to impress your Valentine!
Check out all our Valentine’s Day Posts – The Ultimate List of 100 Valentine’s Day Crafts and Activities