How cute is this paper bag mermaid puppet? It’s the perfect craft for mermaid fans and goes well with a reading of ‘The Little Mermaid’!
What does it mean to be human? A pretty deep question, but you have to admit that despite all our shortcomings, it is wonderful to be human, and do all the amazing things we can. A little mermaid realized this too, which is why she was willing to sacrifice anything for it!
The original story is rather tragic and maybe a little scary for young children. That’s probably why the Disney adaptation has changed the ending, and made it more kid-friendly. Well, in any case, we got a little mermaid character who is pretty, feisty and entirely lovable!
Fun Facts about The Little Mermaid
- This was the last Disney movie to use the traditional hand-painted animation techniques
- It is estimated that they had to draw over one million bubbles for the movie
- In 2011, Time magazine included it in its list of ‘The 25 All TimeBest Animated Films’
- The Little Mermaid earned three Academy Award nominations and won other awards including a Grammy and a Golden Globe
As you can see, ‘The Little Mermaid’ was quite a turning point in Disney’s history! Today, we’re celebrating the spirit of the movie with an adorable paper bag mermaid puppet for kids!
DIY Paper Bag Mermaid Puppet for Kids
- Brown paper bag
- Craft papers in different colors
How to make the Paper Bag Mermaid Puppet:
1. Download and print the paper bag mermaid puppet template. The template includes the mermaid’s face, body, hair, eyes, cheeks, tail, fins and top.
2. Trace the elements of the template on craft paper in the appropriate colors. The beauty of mermaids is that you can use any color you like! Here we’ve gone with the template of Ariel in ‘The Little Mermaid’, using a bright reddish-orange for the hair, purple for the top and green for the tail.
3. What differentiates a mermaid from a regular woman? She doesn’t have legs, of course! If you remember the original story, legs do form an important part of the core plot. So let’s start our paper bag mermaid puppet by assembling the tail. Stick the fins at the two ends of the tail and fill it in by drawing scales with a pen.
4. Let’s move on to the mermaid’s face. Make slits in the hairpiece and insert the face into it.
5. Stick the mermaid’s eyes and cheeks. Take out your black marker to draw a nose and mouth – now she’s looking pretty!
6. Now down to the last part of the paper bag mermaid puppet – her upper body. Stick the top on the body part.
7. Apply glue on the bottom portion of the body and stick the tail on it. Make sure it doesn’t overlap the top.
8. Let’s move on to the final assembly! Stick the mermaid’s body on the brown paper bag under the folded flap.
9. Now stick the mermaid’s head on the folded flap of the paper bag. Finish it off by sticking a pretty flower on the mermaid’s hair.
10. That’s it, your paper bag mermaid puppet is done! Now you can go ahead and try out different color combinations so you have a team of gorgeous mermaids!
If this paper bag mermaid puppet has got you wanting to watch the movie again, I don’t blame you! Bring out the old storybook by Hans Christain Anderson or watch any of the Little Mermaid movies, and take a little trip back in time!
If you enjoyed this craft, you may also like these:
- Disney Ariel Papercraft for Kids
- Peg Doll Mermaid Craft
- DIY Mermaid Tail Bookmarks
- Printable Under the Sea Shape Match