Our paper Heliconia flower craft is easy to make & helps kids appreciate the beautiful alternate petal arrangement that gives the flower it’s unique allure.
There is no such thing as an ugly accent, like there’s no such thing as an ugly flower.
That’s true, right? A flower is pretty, just by being one! Even a tiny little flower is a beautiful world on it’s own, which is why Georgia O’ Keeffe loved painting flowers on such a large scale. She said that you couldn’t really see the beauty of a flower unless you looked closely at it. You can’t help but agree with that!
And just like Georgia O’ Keeffe explored the beauty of flowers through art, we can do so through flower crafts! And that’s why we’ve got a flower craft today based on a flower that needs to be thoroughly examined for its awesomeness to be truly appreciated. Heliconia flowers have a beautiful alternate arrangement of petals, not unlike the hyacinth.
So let’s gather some colored craft paper and start cutting out petals and leaves, and get to arranging them to create our very own blooms with this paper Heliconia flower craft!
DIY Paper Heliconia Flower Craft
- Craft paper in green, orange, purple and pink
How to make a Paper Heliconia Flower Craft:
1. Start off with the green craft paper. Cut out leaf shapes, with two leaves per flower.
2. Take another sheet of green craft paper for the stem. Roll it carefully into a thin, tight roll.
3. Use the templates to cut out the petals from the pink, purple and orange craft paper. Cut out at least 10 – 12 petals.
4. Take a petal fold it in half vertically. Apply glue in between the fold then put the paper roll in between the fold. Glue the petal on top of the green roll.
5. Glue another petal similarly from the opposite side of the previous petal.
6. Now glue two more petals similarly and as you add more petals keep going down. Keep adding more petals like this until you are happy with it.
7. The flower is almost done! Cut out two leaves shapes using green paper and similarly glue them to the green roll.
Isn’t the Heliconia truly an impressive flower? One that’s completely worthy of a project like this paper heliconia flower craft! Make a full bouquet of these in different colors – it would make a great gift for someone special!