Toilet Paper Roll Leprechaun Craft
Here’s a super cute toilet paper roll leprechaun craft that kids of all ages can make! Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day or Leprechaun Day on 13th May!
When you think of leprechauns, you can’t help but think of mischief, which is probably due to the way they’ve been depicted in movies and cartoons. However, original legends about leprechauns feature them as really hardworking creatures who don’t enjoy the limelight at all!
Leprechauns are believed to be small people, originating from the Irish word ‘lobaircin’ which means ‘small-bodied person’. If you’d like to know more, you can visit The National Leprechaun Museum in Dublin – yes, there is a museum dedicated to them! There’s also a day dedicated to leprechauns, called Leprechaun Day, on 13th May.
How to celebrate Leprechaun Day?
- Put up a puppet show featuring some leprechaun puppets
- Dress up in green, along with a little leprechaun hat
- Have fun with some leprechaun activity sheets
- Have some green food – like this bell pepper egg in a hole
And of course, the best way to celebrate is by making a cute craft, like this toilet paper roll leprechaun project!
Toilet Paper Roll Leprechaun Craft
- Cardboard tube
- Craft paper in multiple colors
How to make the Toilet Paper Roll Leprechaun Craft:
1. Download and print the toilet paper roll leprechaun template. The template contains parts of the leprechaun, including the collar, hat, hat strap, belt, buckles, buttons, face, beard, eyes, eyebrows and nose.
2. Trace the parts of the template on the craft papers of the appropriate colors and cut them out. Leprechauns are green, but to make the different parts of the toilet paper roll leprechaun stand out, use different shades of green. Go with orange or brown for the facial hair, so your leprechaun has a nice, Irish look!
3. Let’s start with the face of our little leprechaun. Stick the beard and the eyebrows on the appropriate places on the face.
4. Stick the eyes under the eyebrows, and the nose below them. Take out your marker and draw a cute little smile under the nose.
5. Let’s assemble the straps now – one for the hat and one for the belt. Cut slits into the yellow buckles and pass the straps through them. Use the smaller buckle for the smaller strap for the hat, and the others for the belt.
6. Take the hat strap and stick it on the leprechaun hat. Cut a slit through the bottom of the hat.
7. Insert the head of our toilet paper roll leprechaun into the slit of the hat. There – that’s looking good!
8. Cut out a rectangle of green paper of a width that’s equal to the height of your cardboard tube, and a length that is enough to go around the tube. Stick the collar in the middle of the rectangle, aligning the top edges. Stick the buttons on the color and the belt below it. The leprechaun’s outfit is ready!
9. Apply glue on the cardboard tube and stick the leprechaun outfit on it, wrapping it around the roll. Now stick the leprechaun’s head on top of the collar and that’s it – your toilet paper roll leprechaun is done!
This would be a lovely craft for St. Patrick’s Day, and you can also make a bunch of leprechauns wearing green as well as red, which some folklore stories feature. You can also grab a book about leprechauns or watch a movie about them, and have a fun day with your friends!
If you enjoyed this craft, you may also like these:
- Rainbow and Shamrock Popsicle Stick Craft
- Leprechaun Popsicle Stick Craft
- Pot of Gold Popsicle Stick Craft