This Felt Snowman Christmas Ornament can brighten up any Christmas tree or mantle!! With our free printable template, this is perfect for sewing beginners!
What is the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the movie Frozen? Anna, Elsa and the song? Well, along with these, there’s another unforgettable character that comes to mind – the lovable snowman Olaf!!
That movie resulted in scores of Olaf-lookalikes in snow-covered porches, and you can say it even revived snowman-making in general! Unfortunately it never snows where I live, so I compensate by looking at internet pictures of amazing snowmen around the world and by making snowman crafts!
We’ve made paper cup snowmen, paper quilled snowmen and paper plate snowmen; and today we add to it a craft made of another material – an easy felt snowman Christmas ornament! It’s the perfect project for budding sewing enthusiasts!
Felt Snowman Christmas Ornament + Free Template
List of Supplies:
- Felt fabric in red, white, orange, black and green
- Pencil or pen – for tracing the template
- Needle and thread
- Cotton Wool
How to Make the Felt Snowman Christmas Ornament:
1. Print and cut out the patterns from the template. Trace the patterns on felt fabric in colors of your choice. The template includes 2 identical patterns for the body (front and back), 2 identical patterns for the hat (front and back), 1 nose, 1 strip for the muffler, 2 round shapes for the eyes and 3 round shapes for the buttons. Cut out the patterns you traced on the felt.
2. Stitch the eyes onto one of the body pieces using black thread. I did a simple cross stitches to attach the eyes.
3. Fix the nose using orange thread, right below the eyes. I used a running stitch to attach the nose. At the same time, use black thread to stitch the mouth.
4. Stitch the buttons using any colored thread you want. I used cross stitches for the buttons as well.
5. Done adding all the items on the front body pattern? Now place the plain body pattern under the front piece, making sure they’re exactly aligned.
6. Decide the position of the hat and place one of the hat patterns at the back of the snowman’s head.
7. Now place the other hat pattern on the front of the head. Make sure that both sides of the hat cut outs are perfectly aligned.
8. Time to join everything together! Start stitching the hat and the body to join the front and back sides. Do a flat blanket stitch around the sides.
9. While stitching around the sides make sure to keep a small opening to stuff the felt snowman. Use cotton for stuffing.
10. Stitch and close the small opening to secure the stuffing. Tie a knot and cut off any extra thread.
11. I think he’s feeling a little cold! Fix the muffler strip on, gluing or stitching in place. Attach some yarn or string to the back of the snowman’s head so you can hang the ornament. He’s ready!
Isn’t he just adorable?? This little felt snowman Christmas ornament also makes a great stocking stuffer. You can match it with a snowman card or sponge-stamped snowman wrapping paper. Doesn’t matter if you name him Frosty, the smile on his cute face will warm anyone’s heart!