Light up your life and your home with a pretty paper lotus tealight holder – perfect Diwali decor that even the kids can make!
Most Indians associate Diwali with lanterns, crackers and sweets, but not everyone realizes that Diwali is also an occasion for worshipping the Goddess of wealth, Lakshmi. Lakshmi is often portrayed as seated on a lotus. The lotus has many associations – purity, prosperity and of course beauty!
That is why we’ve brought together two things associated with Diwali – lotuses and light – into a special paper lotus tealight holder craft. So get your colored paper and scissors and get ready to make your very own lotus for Diwali!
How To Make A Paper Lotus Tealight Holder for Diwali
- Colored paper (80 GSM A4 size – Orange & Pink)
- Tealight candle.
Steps to Make the Paper Lotus Tealight Holder:
1. For the lotus, we are going to layer flower shapes in different sizes. For the larger flower, cut out a large square, about 8 inches wide, from an A 4 sized paper. Fold it in half and again into a half to get a smaller square.
2. Now fold it in half to form a triangle. Fold once again and using the template shown in pic, cut along the brown lines.
3. For the smaller flower, cut out a small square about 4 inches wide. Fold in half to form a rectangle, and fold again along the long edge to form a square. Now fold again in half to form a triangle. As we did earlier, cut out the shape along the lines shown.
4. We need multiple layers in different sizes for our lotus to truly look like one! Cut out multiple pieces in different colors – we alternated between Orange and Pink.
5. Stick all the layers at the center using glue. Place it on the center table and place a LED light or a small tea light candle at the center.
Pretty sure you didn’t think this paper lotus tealight holder would be this easy to make, right? It looks like it would be pretty complicated to cut, but it’s actually a simple technique. Any kid with basic scissor skills can manage this craft. Go ahead, make lots of lotuses and arrange them for an absolutely stunning Diwali display and impress your guests!