Penguins live in the Southern hemisphere, but you can bring them to your home! Here is an easy Origami Penguin Craft, with a step by step tutorial to help.
I’ve always thought of penguins as rather quirky creatures; but after watching Happy Feet with Miss P, I absolutely fell in love with them! Little Mumble stole our hearts – he is so adorable!
The movie also helped me learn a lot about penguins; they do, in fact, have distinct calls for calling out to their mates, much like the heart song. Also, did you know that the black and white color scheme is for camouflage – over and under water? Amazing!!
So here’s your chance to bring home your own Mumble, with an easy Origami Penguin craft for kids! And what do you need for this – why, black and white paper, of course!!
Easy Origami Penguin Craft for Kids
- Origami paper that’s black on one side and white on the other
- Yellow craft paper
- Googly eyes
- Blue chart paper
- White tissue paper
How to make an Origami Penguin Craft:
1. Start by placing the origami paper diagonally, with the white side facing you. Fold the paper from left to right and open it so that you get a straight crease from the top corner to the bottom.
2. Fold the right and left corners inward so that the top edges meet along the middle crease. This gives you a white triangle at the bottom of the unfolded area.
3. Fold that white triangle backward, so you’re left with only the two black flaps in front.
4. Turn the paper over so the flaps are underneath and the white triangle is on top. Fold the paper right down the middle, so that the white part is inside the fold. The black flaps are now on the outside.
5. Open the black flaps and fold them as shown in the picture below. Your fold should resemble a pleat.
6. Fold the tip of the triangle to make the penguin’s head and beak. You can angle the fold a little to make it a little more realistic!
7. Fold small bits of yellow craft paper into little triangles and stick it over the beaks. Fix googly eyes and your penguins are ready to roam around their blocks of ice!
Of course that will require you to create ice for them to roam on! So here’s the final step in making this easy Origami Penguin craft – set up blue chart as an ocean background and tear white tissue paper for ice. Place your penguins wherever you like and you have your little winter scene all ready to display!