Love flamingos? Then this handprint flamingo craft will be right up your alley! All you need are basic craft supplies and a cute little hand to print!
Living in a country with a tropical climate, I love winters and the festivity that comes with them. But another reason I like this season is that it’s become the season for the migration of some gorgeous birds – flamingos!
Since the ’90s, flamingos have been migrating toward the Indian coasts, and now there’s even a Flamingo Festival held every January in Andhra Pradesh. Experts are still not sure about what phenomena drive this migration, but it sure is a pretty sight!
Here are some fun facts about these beautiful creatures:
- They’re very social, and live in large groups
- The color of their feathers comes from pigments in their food
- They strain their food before eating it!
- The ‘standing on one leg’ position is to conserve body heat
- Flamingos can live up to 50 years
Interested? We certainly are, which is why we’ve got you a super cute and easy handprint flamingo craft today! This is really easy and doesn’t require much effort besides sticking things together. In fact, the hardest part of this project may be getting your little one to sit still enough to get a handprint!
Easy Handprint Flamingo Craft for Kids
- Craft paper in pink and yellow
- Black marker or Sharpie
- Pink craft feathers
- Craft Glue
How to make the Handprint Flamingo Craft for Kids:
1. Download and print the handprint flamingo craft template. The template contains parts of the flamingo – the head and neck, the beak, and the legs.
2. Trace the parts of the handprint flamingo craft onto colored craft paper. Use yellow or orange for the beak and legs. Go with pink for the head and neck.
3. While you’re at it, place your child’s little hand on pink paper and draw an outline in pencil. Cut out the outline and now you have your handprint!
4. Take your black marker and add details to the beak as shown in the image below. Now cut out a small circle of white paper and draw in a black pupil – your flamingo now has an eye on you!
5. Stick the beak and the eye on the flamingo’s head, positioning them correctly.
6. Time to move on to the main step in our handprint flamingo craft – attaching the handprint! Stick the neck to the top of the handprint, toward the left. Before applying glue, try to position the neck and find a spot where it looks best.
7. Stick the legs to the bottom of the handprint, applying glue at the back.
8. Nearly there! Stick the pink feathers on the handprint. You can stick as many as you like!
That’s it – your handprint flamingo craft is ready!
Handprint crafts are adorable keepsakes, especially when they form the base of the craft, as in this project. They’re a reminder of the age of your child at the time of making these crafts. They’re perfect for holidays like Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and for grandparents who’ll adore seeing them!
If you liked this handprint craft, you may also enjoy these: